Best "motherly" chicken breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nlsf, Feb 22, 2017.

1. nlsf

nlsf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    I've been thinking of getting a hen for hatching eggs and rasing babies, in your opinion what's the best breed for that?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Old English game-- no doubt about it. Silkies go broody a lot but I do not like them like the Game. The game are Great mothers too. I had about 12 old English game and set the flock of them 42 times in one season----100's of chicks hatched. With several more breeds that get broody----I had 30 sets from all of them for the whole season---over 100 layers. Them 12 game hens kicked butt compared to the others. I have had Old English game for about 10 years----awesome hens for hatching.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    Good idea - hatching chicks is such fun!

The best broody breeds are the largest and smallest. That is to say the big poofy breeds and also little bantams.

Some examples of large breeds that hatch are Cochins,Brahmas and Sussex (purebred of course, not hybrids).

Most bantams will go broody but the most reliable are Pekins and Silkies.

It should be noted that broody breeds spend so much time brooding that they will lay very few eggs so I suggest you get one broody hen and one or two other breeds that will lay, such as hybrids.

The silkie is the broodiest of all breeds but people say that their fine fluff feathering can be harmful to chicks. Because of this it is said the best of all broody breeds is the Goldtop; a cross between a Gold Silkie rooster and a Light Sussex hen. The Goldtop is a beautiful bird and is an excellent mother and when not brooding will lay a fair few eggs, so I suggest you get a Goldtop hen.

Good luck with your hatching!

4. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    Good idea - hatching chicks is such fun!

The best broody breeds are the largest and smallest. That is to say the big poofy breeds and also little bantamsomething.

Some examples of large breeds that hatch are Cochins,Brahmas and Sussex (purebred of course, not hybrids).

Most bantams will go broody but the most reliable are Pekins and Silkies.

It should be noted that broody breeds spend so much time brooding that they will lay very few eggs so I suggest you get one broody hen and one or two other breeds that will lay, such as hybrids.

The silkie is the broodiest of all breeds but people say that their fine fluff feathering can be harmful to chicks. Because of this it is said the best of all broody breeds is the Goldtop; a cross between a gold Silkie rooster and a Light Sussex hen. The Goldtop is a beautiful bird and is an excellent mother and when not brooding will lay a fair few eggs, so I suggest you get a Goldtop hen.

Good luck with your hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by