Best Natured Rooster?

lazypifarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Grand Prairie, TX
Hi guys! Sometime in the next year, we will be moving to a place with some land, and I can have more chickens than just my little suburban flock - and a rooster! I have tentative plans for a couple of breeding pens, but I do want one that can run around the yard with the free ranging hens, to help protect them and just generally look beautiful. But I have small children. Is it safe for them to be around a rooster? I have heard horror stories. (Please don't share your own horror story, it will upset me for the rest of the day, and I will remember it forever.) I thought perhaps you guys could share some "safe rooster" guidelines.

Is there a breed known for the roosters being gentle? I like Wyandottes and Cochins, they're lovely. I have heard Ameraucana and Marans roosters are a little too feisty. Thanks!

I have a really nice Silkie rooster that is VERY good with children.

If I were you, I would consider getting a mature rooster over a year old. One that has gone through the teenage stage and crazy hormones. My silkie roo is 1 1/2 (was a little over a year when we got him), and he has been great from the get-go.

I also have a BR cockerel who is very nice. If you are going to raise them from a young age, never coddle your roosters. They should always be a little afraid of you. One that is not afraid of you, can and will attack.

Never been attacked myself!

Stay away from RIR roosters. I've heard they are very human aggressive.

Well, so far I've had a Cream Brabanter rooster, a Black Copper Maran's Rooster, both were very mean. Then I got a Olive Egger rooster that was shy and respectful (I don't have him anymore).

Right now, my two roosters are a Buckeye, and also a Coronation Sussex, and they're both really nice. They mind their manners and keep to themselves. The Buckeye, I just got, and he's two years old, and you can pick him up.....He's a gentleman with the ladies too.

I would second the idea of getting an older rooster. I have raised roosters in several breeds, and have not been attacked by any, but they do go through a crazy stage between 6 months to a year old when their hormones kick in. Look for a mature rooster that has already proven himself to be good natured. That way you can have a good first experience for you and your kids. As far as breed choices, I think it really boils down to the individual rooster's personality regardless of breed. But I have some very nice roosters myself that are polish and orpington. Good luck.
smile.png

The meanest rooster I ever had was a black Silkie, boy was he mean! I've been told that is unusual. I've had great luck with Orpingtons and Barred Rocks, I like the gentle, slow moving breeds!. I don't really think there is a super mean rooster breed, there is a lot to do with how you raise them. I find if I give too much attention to a rooster when they are young they tend to be more aggressive. I always keep my distant from the young roosters. But then there are people who give a lot of attention (picking up/petting) and never have a problem. I don't think you ever know until they are older. Also should consider what size you like, some of the breeds have cute and small and meds and huge. Good luck finding the right rooster!

I have a black Austrolorp right now as my head rooster and he is just horrible about attacking you, especially when your back is turned. The only reason that i keep him is that when he was younger he was attacked by a hawk and now he is an ecxellent alarm for the other chickens when a hawk is near.

I have had Buckeyes, BCM, Welsummers, SLW and assorted banty roos. My current welsummer Two Feathers is by far and away the Best.He comes when called,stands tall if hawks are about, keeps his 7 ladies in line and puts them in the coop at night. theres not a mean feather on him !!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom