1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Nesting Box Material For Silkie

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FluffyFlockLove, Nov 20, 2016.

1. FluffyFlockLove

FluffyFlockLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    I was wondering what the best nesting box and coop material is for Silkies. Currently I am using pine shavings on the coop floor for bedding, and hay in the nest boxes. My concern is that the hay may get stuck to the silkies feathers. I plan to show my silkies in the future so I was wondering what nesting material and bedding is best for silkies

2. Justjered

Justjered Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2016
    Galesburg, Illinois
    I use straw for their nesting boxes. I have 9 silkies in mine.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³ bag is held in place with clips). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh.
    Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

[​IMG]

I have 66 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where silkies are a ground nesting bird this maybe your best option.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  4. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    My silkies do not use nesting boxes. They just pick a corner of the coop and always use that spot. The broodies always go to the same corner. I do like to put fresh bedding down daily in that spot. My favorite is Flax bedding. It is made from chopped flax plants. It is really good for drying out the poo quickly.

5. Justjered

Justjered Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2016
    Galesburg, Illinois
    that's so strange, ours have always went to the laying boxes, all use one of the 2 (have a broody one right now who hops to whichever has an egg if one is layed and none in hers already).

6. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I started out using hay and my silkies have also kicked in the shavings from the coop. My boxes are floor level. so now it is a mixture of both

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Silkies will use nest boxes........I only use pine shavings in my nests.....Works great....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by