Best northern free ranging turkey?

MVchickens

Songster
10 Years
Dec 8, 2010
Martha's Vineyard MA
Looking for a heritage breed that will stand up to free ranging in the northern winters. What is your opinion on Narraganset, bronze, burbon red, chocolate, blue slate, midget white, and black spanish?

narragansett were made for around where you live so im sure a new england winter wont bother them with good shelter

I have over wintered Narragansett, Bourbon Red, Royal Palms, Regal Red, White Holland, and Broad Breasted White and Bronze. All do fine in the winter, I give them somewhere to get out of the weather and keep their feed dry. A heater for the water helps too. Mine have been through temps down to about -38F and extended periods where the high for the day is below 0F. Pick what you like and go for it!

I kept and raised Wishard Turkeys in upstate NY where the winters got very bitter cold.

They did great. The only hatchery I know right now that has them is Sandhill.

The Wishard will free range around the area, c ome in for morning feeding, roost in trees around the homestead and raise their poults on their own, for me its hard to beat them for a homestead Turkey.

Quote:
That would be my choice and they grow to a nice table size bird worthy of the holidays.

I would also recommend the Narragansett, as it is native to your area. However, I would acquire stock from your planting zone. They will survive better than say some from Texas or here in Arkansas. I have a young Narragansett tom from Greg Oakes in Ontario. He should do well her this winter. We are building a new turkey coop. Next summer it will have misters in it to help cool him. Most birds can handle the extreme cold if they have shelter. Extreem heat is a killer.

Back
Top Bottom