Best number of Indian runners to have

Jsticks

Hatching
Jul 29, 2021
I am a new duck owner of Indian runners. I have 1 drake and did have 4 females, but very sadly one of the females died. Is 3 females to 1 drake ok for Indian runners. I had head that drakes need a few females in their pack and was unsure if this ration is ok? Any knowledge out there would be gratefully received

I am a new duck owner of Indian runners. I have 1 drake and did have 4 females, but very sadly one of the females died. Is 3 females to 1 drake ok for Indian runners. I had head that drakes need a few females in their pack and was unsure if this ration is ok? Any knowledge out there would be gratefully received
Many thanks this is really useful.

I guess you would just need to observe your flock to see if more need to be added.
It would definitely depend on the drake's behavior and if your ducks go broody they aren't interested in mating.

Generally, people will tell you that is not the ideal ratio. But, I think it depends on your ducks.

I got my first four straight-run runner ducks from a breeder, and as they grew up, discovered that THREE were drakes. Strangely, the lone female, Quinn, turned out to be the group leader. As they became adolescents, I got another female about the same age (the only one the breeder would part with at that time) to take some pressure off Quinn if the boys got to be too much for her.

She seemed to resent Paige getting any attention from the boys at all and would try to lead them away from her "rival."

Right now, I have three drakes (one was supposed to be a hen and surprised me and the breeder who now sells her ducklings sexed) and seven females. Most of the girls are showing signs of being heavily "romanced" but not Quinn. She's older but still in the queen.

Also, the first year my drakes were kind of jockeying for position within the flock and would have tiny battles where no one really got hurt. As they have gotten older, none of the boys seem to want to argue anymore. There are enough girls to keep everyone busy.

Just keep an eye on them. If the girls start missing feathers on the backs of their heads, they are getting more male attention than they need. I have, at times, put the boys in a little dog house next to the main shelter at night so the girls can at least get some peaceful sleep. When I'm home during the day, they are at loose and can find hiding places away from the boys.

Good luck with your runners. They are incredible critters!

Generally, people will tell you that is not the ideal ratio. But, I think it depends on your ducks.

I got my first four straight-run runner ducks from a breeder, and as they grew up, discovered that THREE were drakes. Strangely, the lone female, Quinn, turned out to be the group leader. As they became adolescents, I got another female about the same age (the only one the breeder would part with at that time) to take some pressure off Quinn if the boys got to be too much for her.

She seemed to resent Paige getting any attention from the boys at all and would try to lead them away from her "rival."

Right now, I have three drakes (one was supposed to be a hen and surprised me and the breeder who now sells her ducklings sexed) and seven females. Most of the girls are showing signs of being heavily "romanced" but not Quinn. She's older but still in the queen.

Also, the first year my drakes were kind of jockeying for position within the flock and would have tiny battles where no one really got hurt. As they have gotten older, none of the boys seem to want to argue anymore. There are enough girls to keep everyone busy.

Just keep an eye on them. If the girls start missing feathers on the backs of their heads, they are getting more male attention than they need. I have, at times, put the boys in a little dog house next to the main shelter at night so the girls can at least get some peaceful sleep. When I'm home during the day, they are at loose and can find hiding places away from the boys.

Good luck with your runners. They are incredible critters!
Many thanks for your response. This is really useful. Will keep an eye out as they get older. Many thanks

I have two drakes and ten hens 😆 oops 😅 don’t know how I ended up with so many haha just can’t seem to say no

Attachments

• 60402479-8280-4880-9F53-6CA8E3E6B743.jpeg
    60402479-8280-4880-9F53-6CA8E3E6B743.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 35
I mean I was going to say however many you can house and take care of responsibly 🤣

with that said (mine aren’t runners) but I have 4 ducks, currently 2 drakes and 2 females. We got 6 straight run and it was 50/50 and we lost 2 to predators. I know we don’t have a good ratio and I’ve had a hard time rehoming either/both boys. So far it’s “fine” (but they’re only 5.5 months old). I am keeping a close watch on them. There is one drake in particular I may need to do something about.
I’ve thought about moving the hens (chickens) in with the ducks and putting the drakes in a separate home, but the ducks have access to over an acre of fenced in area with a pond during the day.

Back
Top Bottom