Best Outdoor Toys For Two Week Old Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CitySilkies88, Apr 4, 2012.

1. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    What are some of your favorite things you introduce to your chicks from outside?

I have asked my nephew to get me some apple tree sticks/branches so I can put some roosts in the brooder. I also plan to dig up a clump of dirt/grass from my sisters yard (her yard has less animal traffic) so that they have some grit and grass to try.

There are no leaves on any of the trees to be had and no dried leaves either. Is apple tree wood safe for chicks? I give it to my pet rats all the time and they love it.

Also they don't have any grit right now. But like I said I will be digging them up some dirt so that they will have something to help them break down bigger and better treats....Speaking of treats are dandilions and clovers safe to give to chicks? Because we have a ton growing in our yards.

When it comes to the dirt...Should I put the clump in the brooder with the branches today (this is their first contact with anything outside)? Or should I just sprinkle a bit of dirt in their brooder today and then in a couple days put the clump of dirt in the brooder? I just don't want to expose them to too much too fast. They have been on medicated feed for a week. But I want to make sure I am exposing them to stuff from outside so it's not such a shocker to their systems when they go outside for good.

I appreciate any and all advice :)

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    I have baby chicks and i introduce them to the outside when they are a couple of weeks old. I let them roam a little outside, but i watch them to make sure they are safe. To introduce them little by little, i suggest you pull out a weed, with the dirt still attached to the roots and give it to them. My chicks love underground roaches and flies.

3. CitySilkies88

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I would take them outside. But it's in the low 50s and I don't want them to get cold. Shouldn't I wait until it's warmer (70s-80 degrees?)

I will definately put them a weed with some dirt. I am sure they will have a blast :).

4. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    I think you should wait till its warmer, Its just because i live in FL so its always hot.

5. CitySilkies88

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I put a couple branches in the brooder and a small clump of grass and a small pan of dirt. They are loving all of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by