Best overall book for newbie to backyard laying hen flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Manok-Tao, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    The wealth of knowledge and info on this site is awesome, I have pages and pages of notes as I digest the material discussed...I thank you all.
    Coop in work. Purchased 10 pullets (BSL, BR, B Aust, Buff Orp, SS)(being held for me). I had 5 RSL a couple years ago and have missed them since I gave them away. Building a coop with all the pro's I've researched to do it right, for me and the girls. As of know just want to enjoy the friendship and benefits of a small flock of laying hens. (extra eggs will go to a few friends and local soup kitchen). I'm not interested in having a roo (at present). What's the input on a good book for a backyarder like me?
    john

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

3. Manok-Tao

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Wow, I didn't know that existed, even after spending tons of hours on this site (and a couple select others, nothing serious I promise...lol)
    Shuda knowm I'm a newbie (aka dummy)

4. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    I have a copy of Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens and it has been a wealth of information. I have read it through several times and refer to it often.

5. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    I second that vote for Storey's "Guide to Raising Chickens" Author is Gail Damerow.

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I have Nifty's book, and it's loaded with great info!

7. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well considering that the same type person that likes raising chickens might also like to do other farm type projects, like planting an asparagas bed, quilting or digging a well, I would have to suggest a broader range of read. My personal favorites are the Reader's Digest, "Back to Basics" and John Seymore's "The Self-Sufficient Life and how to Live it" and Rodelle's "The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening"
    You can find out all the basics on poultry raising and then later on if you decide you want to know something about keeping bees or making your own log cabin, you already have the book.

8. Manok-Tao

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Quote:AWESOME!!!!

9. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Might I suggest that you just get and read them all. To me, books are like chickens, you can never have too many. [​IMG]

I am ashamed to say that while I've read Storey's Guide, Back to Basics, Self-Sufficient Life, the Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, plus several others not mentioned, I have yet to obtain Backyard Chickens for Dummies. (Something I will rectify promptly.)

Overall, the best book out there - from what I've read - is Gail Damerow's book. The information was very specific, comprehensive and simple enough that I could understand.

Good Luck,
    Marcy

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I LOVE this book! I've even read the icky parts. (You know, the parts about processing chickens.... ) My only other "Dummies" book comparison is "Koi for Dummies" and this book is better, by far. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by