Best pet breed for backyard - 2-3 hens? Faverolles, Australorps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by flipflops, Jun 20, 2017.

1. flipflops

flipflops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2017
    My husband and I would like 2-3 hens for a backyard coop. We don't have kids, but want something that is sweet, gentle, likes to be handled. We have researched the Faverolles and Australorps, what are opinions on these and any other better recommendations?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you looking for good egg production?

3. flipflops

Jun 19, 2017
    Eggs are great with us but disposition is most important to us.

4. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I have 2 Faverolles and they are sweet as pie! Cochin, Easter Eggers, Brahma also have been calm and sweet.

MageofMist likes this.
  5. flipflops

Jun 19, 2017
    Andreanar do you have yours mixed with others? I'm thinking about a Faverolle, buff brahma and still deciding on a 3rd

6. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Silkies are a good type of chicken, very docile, sweet and also quite interesting to look at. :) I have a small growing flock of silkies that are very friendly and easy to handle, 2 of which I brought, and 10 of which I am raising. Got 5 3 month olds that I raised from pretty much day 1 and 5 1 week olds, the 1 week olds also being reared by their broody mum.

They are very prone to broodiness which impacts egg production, but when she isn't brooding, she usually lays an egg every day which is pretty good for her breed.

7. Ketty Ash

Ketty Ash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2017
    Kentucky
    . We have a few Australorps that are very friendly, and beautiful. They are good layers, as well.

8. flipflops

Jun 19, 2017
    Ok another question....are the brahmas huge? In pictures it looks like some are a lot bigger than most standard sizes!?

9. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I have a mixed flock. I have 2 salmon faverolles, 1 buff brahma, 3 Easter eggers, 1 cream legbar, 1 black australorp, and 1 black Cochin and 1 silver wyandotte. Brahma do get big, but they seem quiet and docile

10. flipflops

Jun 19, 2017
    I worry the brahma might not be happy in a small backyard coop? We plan to eventually fence our entire backyard but for awhile they will need to be in a coop/run only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by