Best pet breed for backyard - 2-3 hens? Faverolles, Australorps?

flipflops

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
My husband and I would like 2-3 hens for a backyard coop. We don't have kids, but want something that is sweet, gentle, likes to be handled. We have researched the Faverolles and Australorps, what are opinions on these and any other better recommendations?

flipflops

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
Andreanar do you have yours mixed with others? I'm thinking about a Faverolle, buff brahma and still deciding on a 3rd

MageofMist

Crowing
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
Silkies are a good type of chicken, very docile, sweet and also quite interesting to look at. :) I have a small growing flock of silkies that are very friendly and easy to handle, 2 of which I brought, and 10 of which I am raising. Got 5 3 month olds that I raised from pretty much day 1 and 5 1 week olds, the 1 week olds also being reared by their broody mum.

They are very prone to broodiness which impacts egg production, but when she isn't brooding, she usually lays an egg every day which is pretty good for her breed.

Ketty Ash

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
Kentucky
My husband and I would like 2-3 hens for a backyard coop. We don't have kids, but want something that is sweet, gentle, likes to be handled. We have researched the Faverolles and Australorps, what are opinions on these and any other better recommendations?
. We have a few Australorps that are very friendly, and beautiful. They are good layers, as well.

flipflops

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
Ok another question....are the brahmas huge? In pictures it looks like some are a lot bigger than most standard sizes!?

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
I have a mixed flock. I have 2 salmon faverolles, 1 buff brahma, 3 Easter eggers, 1 cream legbar, 1 black australorp, and 1 black Cochin and 1 silver wyandotte. Brahma do get big, but they seem quiet and docile

flipflops

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
I worry the brahma might not be happy in a small backyard coop? We plan to eventually fence our entire backyard but for awhile they will need to be in a coop/run only.

Top Bottom