Best "Pet" Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Summer98, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    I've narrowed down my wish list to four breeds. I want them to be friendly/tame/pet birds. Brahma, Australorp, Silkie, and Easter Egger. Please provide any feedback on these breeds as pets and their respective personalities.

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:Out of your choices, I only have silkies.

Silkies are easy to tame, friendly, and soooo sweet. They have been referred to as "the lap dogs of the chicken world".

3. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Serama's are my sweetest breed. My little roo follows me around and love to be picked up and hang out on my shoulder.[​IMG]

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I would not get an EE for a pet unless you want the colored eggs. EE's are known to not be the friendliest birds, and are really flighty.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That's quite biased to one experience. I know a LOT of people who'd disagree with you. [​IMG] Easter Eggers, being varied upon hatchery and even per bird, are, well, varied. Few actually grow out to be extremely flighty though. One of my hens was when she was young, but as soon as she started laying, turned right around.

All the birds you listed are great choices. [​IMG]

6. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    I have all of the breeds you listed. A total [​IMG] based on my limited experience. [​IMG]

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Definitely, hands down, Mille Fleur.. Though all of my chickens are pets. They are all super sweet.

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:That's quite biased to one experience. I know a LOT of people who'd disagree with you. [​IMG] Easter Eggers, being varied upon hatchery and even per bird, are, well, varied. Few actually grow out to be extremely flighty though. One of my hens was when she was young, but as soon as she started laying, turned right around.

All the birds you listed are great choices. [​IMG]

Ya your right I am biased. I have to EE's from MPC and I don't think I have ever held either of them do to there extreme flightiness.

9. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Out of your choices, I only have silkies.

Silkies are easy to tame, friendly, and soooo sweet. They have been referred to as "the lap dogs of the chicken world".

x2 silkies all the way.

10. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:X2 My EE is a SPAZ. Doesn't like to be picked up. I have to chase her around and get over the top of her to get her to squat and then quickly nab her. And even then, she's fisty and flighty.

My Buff Orpington is my FAVORITE. She's docile, sweet as pie, comes running when I call her name, and when I hold out my hands like I'm going to pick her up, she just walks between my hands. Loves to lay in my lap and nibble at my hair and will wrap her neck around mine and give me hugs.

As far as a pet breed, you really should consider an Orpington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by