Best pet/egg laying breed?!?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kmlane1027, Feb 9, 2017.

1. kmlane1027

kmlane1027 New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    We are looking to start a backyard flock (6 hens) for pets and eggs. What is the best breed for that as we have children. Must also be cold weather hardy as we live in Wisconsin!

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Hi and :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome ):welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome :welcome if you can't tell l would like to welcome you to BYC. My name is Bobi Sue, Bobi for short. If I were you l would get easter eggers st hey are cold hardy and great egg layer they do lay green, blue or pink egg though, we have them here in Sandpoint and they have survived this [​IMG]
    Add a few inches to that

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. Do you want all the same breed or do you want different breeds and perhaps different egg colors? So many birds would fit your criteria. My criteria is about the same and I have had many breeds over the years I don't want a cookie cutter breed and I don't want all my eggs to look the same. I have even crossed different breeds in search of something I've wanted.
    All in all my favorites are the Easter eggers. They come in a variety of colors and can lay different color eggs although most are green or blue. Kids seem to like eggs in these various colors. My black copper marans although not the best layers give really dark eggs and have sweet temperaments Orpingtons and Jersey Giants are large but friendly. I have olive eggers, the result of crossing a blue egg layer with a dark egg layer.
    You have lots of choices. I tend to like hens with smaller combs which won't get frost bitten in colder weather.
    Good luck on your choices.

4. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Pick whatever breed best suits you, don't be afraid of the cold. I've had non-cold hardy breeds here in upstate NY down below zero with no problems, leghorns, silkies, polish, currently naked necks. About the only thing they need is a WELL ventilated coop free of drafts or wind. Being you'll be getting just hens they are much less likely to get frostbite anyway.
    As far as breeds you'll get many opinions :-D
    Personally I like the jersey giant's, calm and cold hardy.
    If you want for sure cold hardy buckeyes and chanteclers don't have much for combs or wattles.
    Easter eggers and ameraucanas are good and with the bonus of green or blue eggs.
    Good luck and have fun :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by