1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best pets

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by grammy, Apr 19, 2007.

1. grammy

grammy New Egg

Apr 18, 2007
    What are the best breeds of chickens to get for pets. I live in fort worth tx.
    Thanks

2. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    I'm no expert, as I have one breed and they are my first experience with chickens. However, I have silver laced wyandottes... picked them bc they were reputed to have a great, friendly disposition. And they do! They are so friendly and love to be handled at only 6 wks. I am getting so attached to them. They love my little boy too, who is only 4.

Good luck!

3. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
  4. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    I have a long list of favorits and they are
    Australorps for eggs and great companions
    Standard Cochins they are so sweet and kind
    Rhode island red hens no roosters aggressive ive never met nor heard of a nice rhode island rooster
    Standard Brahmas are very sweet too!!!!

5. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    MYpetchicken seems to be a very nice site for at a poultry show i meet them and they had some of my chickens pose for the camera so you might see some of my babys on there:lol:

6. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    my 'most' friendly hens are my Light Brahma, my Wyandotte ( gold laced) and my New Hampshire Red. they all come running when they see me & dont mind getting handled.

my hens that are the hardest to catch & I call them 'antisocial' are my Barred Rock & my Americanas. They put up a pretty good chase.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  7. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    My most friendly hen is Lily a Golden Commet. I got her when she was 1 1/2 years old. She wasnt handled much before that in a large flock. She lets me pick her up now and doesnt try to run away. I got her sister Lucy ,friendly, not quite as much. My Barred Rock teenagers got them at 4 months not near as friendly but they are getting there. They are spoiled rotten chickens,go nuts when they see me coming. Never knew there could be such a thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by