Best Pets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by citabria211, Jan 31, 2013.

1. citabria211

citabria211 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Hi. I'm going to buy a couple ducks/geese from Stramberg's in Minnesota. I was wondering what breeds of ducks or geese would make the best pets and which would make the worst. I have raised fawn and white Indian runner ducks and pekins in the passed and had a blast with them. Also, is it possible to tame mandarin/wood ducks to be as tame as say an Indian runner? Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but what about chickens? any of them make good pets?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

I don't have broad experience with breeds, we have runners and buffs, and I have had Pekins. I feel that with domestic ducks, much of what makes a good pet is time with them and efforts to connect with them through treats and gentle attention.

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I agree with Amiga here. I have had pekins, both regular and grand and Mallards for 8 months now. I also have Kahki Campbells, Silver Appleyards and French White Muscovys. Only for a while but the KCs are wonderful as are the SAs. The Muscovys are different...they aren't like any of the other ducks at all. Ducks quack right? The Muscovys trill like a song bird and their whole attitude/mannerisms are so different than a 'regular' duck. The more time I spend with all of the different breeds, the more I find to love about each and every one of them. No matter which you finally choose, you will find something that just melts your heart. Ducks in any variety are wonderful creatures that will bring a smile to your face and peace to your soul. Too deep huh? Lol, sorry about that, but I can't change the way I feel.

4. citabria211

citabria211 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Right now I'm thinking either magpie, Indian Runners, or blue swedish. any comments on those 3?

5. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I love the Magpies! I haven't been able to get any yet but they seem like really nice ducks!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What no magpies amongst all those duckies? Come On!!! [​IMG]

7. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Lol! I'm working on it! The magpies seem to be such sweet birds and like mallards have the perpetual 'smile' on their faces. The swedish are beautiful with their coloring. No clue about temperment. I would not recommend pekins unless someone wanted the eggs. Their libido is just too highly tuned and even with the right amount of female to drake, it can be a problem.

8. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I agree with haunted about muscovies being different from other ducks, and imo, are more pet-like than any of the three you mentioned. As a general rule, the larger the breed of duck, the more docile the temperament. What are you thinking about for geese?

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Interesting statement, i only have Muscovy, so i can only comment on them, some of mine are more into quacking then others.. plus i have one chocolate duck who loves to hiss and yes, she is most definitely a duck, she just like to exercise her other vocal options [​IMG]

I think there personable but i also agree with Amiga, it is what you make of it, mine are not in my pocket but i choose for that distance. Our ducks are pets but yet not if that makes any sense, in other words i won't eat them but i do want to be able to handle them if need be so we balance in between the two ...i know some here go so far as to have house ducks, we are a far ways from that.

My chickens are really friendly, but it's a teeny flock and they have been kept more in our pocket, heck i just carried all 4 out to the run this morning lol I think there all fun, just depends on what you want/expect. The chickens are easier to care for BUT the ducks make better foragers and more self sustaining(at least my big breed is) i know nothing about geese... as i said i keep both and i find that offers a nice blend, the ducks are definitely for the benefit of the farm(pest control etc) whereas the chickens are more for eggs and just fun..

10. citabria211

citabria211 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    For geese I was thinking either American buff or Pilgrim, but not really sure on those either. Never delt with geese before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by