best pheasant to own

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pokey, Jul 13, 2008.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    what breed of pheasant(not ringnecked) is the easiest to keep in? i would like to keep a trio, but are all males aggressive towards hens during the mating season?

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    The Goldens/Red Golden are usually very calm

3. Kramer Farms

Kramer Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    To just start out I would recommend red golden, yellow golden, or lady amherst.

All three are about the calmest and the males usually won't be as agressive to you or the hens as ringnecks or some other types. These three types should also be relatively less money to buy then the fancier breeds, like the reeves and others.

Jason

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:As mentioned above, the Golden & Amherst are great starter species. Silver Pheasants (http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/silver.html) are one of my favorite species with bold personalities and very fun to have around. I have had males that would display (wing-whirl) when one would approach the aviary and clap. I've yet to have a male kill a female in the 20+ years I've kept this species. Space and enrichment is very key. Silvers are affordable and easy to find, but if you are wanting to keep pure subspecies, they are very hard to locate.

Dan

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Call me crazy, but my favorite pheasant is the ringneck. I have seen ornamental pheasant, they are no where near as wily as the ringneck

6. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:You are not crazy at all and from a conservation stand point, the pure Phasianus colchicus races are as challenging and as rare as any of the "expensive" species. Many of the pure races have been either ignored or bred together, if this is a species you enjoy, get in touch with some of these guys who posted this topic - http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6448 - There are a few dedicated individuals out there who don't want to see these wild subspecies die out to domestication.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by