Best Pine Shavings for Deep Litter in Coop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    It's been so nasty cold here that I'm putting down deep litter. It's not even winter yet, and we've already had a full week of temps in the single digits. I bought a 10 cubic foot bag of Cozy Den brand pine shavings. It was on sale for $9 a bag, regularly $11. I meant to go back and get more while it was on sale, but I forgot. Does anyone know of any other stores who are having sales on the big huge bags of pine shavings?

I usually buy a smaller bag at Wal-Mart, but they cost $6.72 and aren't as good a deal. I have heard they are less dusty than other brands, though. The Wal-Marts are often out of them, too, which is such a pain, not being able to buy what I need when I go there.

What brand of pine shavings do you use, and how big are the bags, and what do you pay for them, and which stores do you find them at?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Feed stores carry big bales of shavings for horse stalls. They're a pretty good deal at $6. I'm not sure how big they are but a bale will put 6 inches on the floor of a 6 X 8 foot building.
    Smaller bags from pet stores and walmart are a rip off.

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I can't find such good prices here in Salt Lake City, ChickenCanoe. I just called IFA, our Intermountain Farm Association feed store, and they sell DryNest brand pine shavings, 12 cu size, for $10.49. Cal-Ranch sells Cozy Den brand, 10 cu, for $10.99. Does anyone have a preference as to brand, and why? Is one dustier than the other, for example. Is there a better brand?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by