Best place for food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hmmm, Apr 30, 2017.

1. hmmm

hmmm Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Hello, I keep my food in the coop in the shelter area near nesting boxes. I would rather keep it in the run. Will my food get moldy if I keep it in the run ? I give crumble be ause of age when older I want to go to pellets.

Also When I go to change water it is always dirty I tried raising it up on a brick syill dirty any tips or recommendations for a style of water feeder . Thank you

2. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC. I have my feeder in the run with a pie tin attached to the top of it. I hang my feeder so I just punch a hole in the tin and let it hang on top of the feeder. I have never had any problems with moldy food. I also hang my water too about 8" off the ground for large fowl. It still gets a little dirty so I just change it often. I use galvanized feeder and water. Hope this helps.

3. hmmm

hmmm Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Thank you, I will try that.

4. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    hello and welcome to BTC!! As for the question about the food, I hang a galvanized feeder in the chicken run it has a top on it to help deter climbing on it and some water BUT when I know it is going to rain I move it to the inside of the coop, the feed can get moldy fast especially if it is raining and warm. As far as the waterer goes, I have suspended my waterer, I have put it on bricks, I have tried having it raised in the coop, they will dirty it no matter what... just make sure to clean it every day or so... I spray mine with a hose.

5. hmmm

hmmm Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Thank you!

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My current setup:
    - Dry pellet feed inside the coop, to keep it dry (we get lots of rain). I remove it at night to deter pests.
    - Fermented feed out in the run, served in cat bowls at 2 stations (so the birds spread out to feed). I remove the bowls at night for cleaning.
    - Water inside the coop using a vertical nipple PVC pipe unit. The waterer came with the coop and works well to provide clean water. I give them access to water 24/7.

7. hmmm

hmmm Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Thank You!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by