Best place to buy electric poultry fencing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HenHaven, Oct 25, 2008.

1. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I am going to invest in some electric poultry netting/fencing for a problematic corner of our property. Anyone have any experience with this and any advice on where to purchase it online?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Some of the "poultry" electric netting fence the holes are big enough to let heavy breeds to get out. Make sure you get stuff that has small holes, some companies advertise "poultry" netting and it's not.

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I saw that one on Premier. Do you know if the $698 energizer is the only way to electrify it? If that item has to be purchased also, I won't be able to afford to juice up the netting!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  5. swampyankee

swampyankee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Bozrah CT
    I have the premier fence and love it. My power source is plugged into the house and was not that expensive(can't remember the price, but I know it was less than 200.00) They have lots of helpful advice and I am sure would give you any guidance you need. Their price is very competitive(translation-they don't try to hose you.) It is music to my ears to hear the neighbor dogs howl in pain in the day, and the raccoons scream when they touch the fence at night!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Premier's fence materials and customer service are EXCELLENT. Their chargers are rather pricey -- probably worthwhile if you seriously need a really good super reliable charger all the time, but otherwise you might want to shop around for the charger part of the equation. Try to avoid solar, it is outrageously expensive and restricted to only relatively weaker chargers. Either get a plug-in unit and run a long DOUBLE-INSULATED FENCE WIRE (that is a particular type of wire, aluminum with two layers of insulation - do not try to substitute anything else) from the charger out to the fence. (Run the wire along an existing fenceline or something, up off the ground, so it's not a tripping hazard and doesn't get mowed). Alternatively use a battery-powered unit.

Be well aware that electronet a) has its lowest wire only about an inch above the ground so you MUST move it frequently, mow very close to the ground under it, then replace it; b) will sag unless you tension it with extra rigging; and c) will have to be decommissioned temporarily if you ever get snow (sorry, not great on California geography [​IMG]) It is great stuff, but you have to respect its idiosyncrasies -- espeically the thing about moving it to keep the grass mowed close. No, you cannot just weedwhack with the fence still in place.

Also, electronet requires a significantly bigger charger than any other electric fence of the same length - so don't size your charger according to your experience with *other* types of electric fencing. Premier's customer relations phone number does good advice.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

1 person likes this.
  7. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    "Premier's fence materials and customer service are EXCELLENT. "

I'll second that. You can't go wrong with premier. I have about 3,000 feet of their top grade poly rope. The fence is a bit more expensive up front but it lasts forever and is tough as nails. A bad ice storm two winters ago took the fence to the ground and it bounced back three days later in warmer weather. No damage at all not a scratch.

8. JacobyO

JacobyO New Egg

Apr 30, 2010
    Just bought the 48" x 82' roll of netting with the Patriot P5 energizer from Premier. Set up is a piece of cake and my little dog quickly learned that the chickens aren't to be messed with. However, last night while eating dinner we looked outside to see the chickens (All 4) had slipped through the fence holes and were roaming the yard. They are still a bit young so I hope that when they reach full size that they won't be able to slip through. We will really only be allowing them to roam the fenced area while we are out in the yard anyway since the fence doesn't help with airborne predators. All in all it is good stuff though, and my kids find it quite entertaining to shock themselves.

9. Kuvasz

Kuvasz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hi, I'm wondering if a Zareba B5 charger (that I got for $20 on craigslist) will charge the Premier 12/48/3 poultry netting?

Your expertise much appreciated in advance.[​IMG]

Thanks!!!

10. LauraHope

LauraHope Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2015
    Cloquet, Mn
    What became of this last questions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by