Best place to buy heatlamps, feeders, etc.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clkingtx, Jan 3, 2010.

1. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I have been pricing some things to get ready for the chicks I've got coming in less than two weeks. I am trying to figure out what would be the cheapest place to find the supplies I need. I've checked at two of the three places around here that sell that kind of thing, and am wondering if it might be cheaper to find them somewhere online.

I couldn't find red bulbs, only white, and I think they were about 10.00.

The lamp fixture was about 10.00,

the wood chips bag is about 10, I think. I can't remember what the cubic feet was, but it was a compressed bag about a foot thick, by 2 1/2 feet wide, and about 3 feet tall. How thick a layer do I need for the kiddos?(ducks, standards, and banties, in separate quarters:D)

the plastic 18 inch feeders with the flip top lid with holes in it is about 4-5

the waterers that you use a quart jar for(plastic) are 2.00

Also, what percentage protein do chicks need? I think the ducks will need gamebird starter, non medicated(20 percent protein, right?) but what about the chicks? I saw a few different formulations today, which do they need 10% or 15%? Also the chicks do need the medicated starter, right?

Anything I am forgetting?

Thanks all for all your input.

Carrie

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Not sure where you live, but here in Ks, I get most of my stuff from Oresheln's. I got a heat bulb for about $3 on sale (125V). Not sure how much their brooder lamps are,but you could buy both of those at Walmart. Also try Tractor Supply. I hear they have decent prices.

Oh, I get shavings for $6 on sale.Not sure what percentage protein the babies get, as I always buy the grower/starter feed for them.

3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Today i got a good deal on a lamp and bulb from Farm and Fleet got the lamp for $7 and the bulb for $2.

4. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Quote:Which Farm and Fleet do you go to? Thats a really good deal, and I have to go there tomorrow anyway because my so called -20 degrees deicer water bucket froze solid today at just -1!! I figured you had to be either from Illinois or Wisconsin when I read Farm & Fleet lol.

5. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    It was the one in Champain but i think they have it on sale everywhere

6. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy just about eveything for my chickens from TSC (Tractor Supply Co), or the local feedmeal.

7. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    TSC is where I found most stuff was less expensive, which suprised me, because they seemed more "upscale" in their store, than atwoods. I couldn't find any heat lamp stuff there at all. I might ask someone when we go tomorrow, maybe they have some in the back that they haven't brought out yet. I will also look at Walmart for the heat lamp, maybe they will have one.

Someone local on craigslist has hay for sale for 4.00 a bale, is that a good price? Or is hay not the thing to use? Would you still have a problem with them trying to eat it, like with wood chips?(I do plan to cover the bedding with paper towels or sheets, or something the first 3 days or so).

Thanks everyone!
    11 days till babies arrive!!

Carrie

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Go to the section where they have extension cords and such, that's typically where Tractor Supply keeps them. The red brooder bulbs are much cheaper there than at Lowes/Home Depot type places. They also carry the large lamp housings rated up to 300W w/the metal guards on them... I think the chicks will try to eat anything you put in there...lol...at least at first. I use(d)wood shavings, so can't help you w/the hay issue. Many love it, but I've avoided it because it's reported to harbor mites (because it's hollow) moreso than shavings. Have fun w/your new babies...you must be so excited!

9. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    Thanks, yeah I am excited, counting down the days!

I didn't look where the extension cords were at TSC. I looked in the aisle where the wheels/tires were; and there was a metal cone thing, but that is all.

I will check that out. I also never thought about hay harboring mites! It might just be better to pay more for the shavings, lol.

Carrie

10. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    sorry, double post

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by