Best Place to Buy Medications?

shellymae1002

Hatching
Mar 22, 2017
Alabama
Hi! I am wondering where the best place to buy medications such as Sulfadimethoxine, Tylan, and Duramycin-10. It looks like you have to have a prescription from a vet to order them online. We have no poultry vet in Alabama. What do I need to do?

Hi! I am wondering where the best place to buy medications such as Sulfadimethoxine, Tylan, and Duramycin-10. It looks like you have to have a prescription from a vet to order them online. We have no poultry vet in Alabama. What do I need to do?

You have to have a prescription whether online or in a store (most stores are not carrying them anymore because of that). You can still buy injectables over the counter.

ETA there were still some being sold illegally on Ebay in January but I don't know if they still are or not.

Last edited:
Hi! I am wondering where the best place to buy medications such as Sulfadimethoxine, Tylan, and Duramycin-10. It looks like you  have to have a prescription from a vet to order them online. We have no poultry vet in Alabama. What do I need to do?

Welcome to BYC. Tylan 50 and 200 injectable can still be found in feed stores. Injectable tetracycline and procaine penicillin can be found in feed stores in the refrigerator. Baytril and metronidazole can be found online. There is a "baytril or enrofloxacin sources" thread with multiple sources if you search at the top of this page. Pigeon and fish supply companies online are where some look for meds. Many people use antibiotics unnecessarily or without knowing what illness they are treating, so it helps to do research on symptoms before using them. If you are treating a virus with antibiotics, it won't help. If you have a trusted pet vet, sometimes they will help you out with medicines if you seem to know what you are doing.

Does an injectable have to be injected? I know that may seem like a stupid question.
frow.gif
Hi Welcome To BYC

Are your birds sick?

Some injectables like Tylan 50 can be given orally, while others cannot. A regular veterinarian (cat/dog) can usually prescribe the medications that you need and advise you on proper dosages and ways to administer the medication. If you have a vet that sees any other animals that you may have, talk to them to see how they can help you.

Thank you everyone for your info! My chickens aren't sick, I am just trying to assemble a "first aid kit" of sorts to have on hand in the event of an illness.

Tractor supply, fishmox, allbirds online there are many stores online without a prescription needed, google antibiotics and pigeons.

I'll ad one more try Hakes' TwinCity Poultry Supplies. Best price I think. Scroll down their page for some reason its off a little.

I think they were asking about a source for water soluble antibiotics, which require a prescription.

Yes, I forgot to mention in my post above that Tylan50 and 200 injectable are frequently given orally or by injection. That is the only injectable one that is used that way from my list. The fish and pigeon meds are for mixing into water.

Back
Top Bottom