Best place to buy pine shaving?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iluv..., Oct 29, 2010.

1. iluv...

iluv... Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    California
    Currently I get mine from Walmart. Usually I'll buy the 2 cu ft which will expand to 4 cu ft for under $8.
    I wondering is that cheap or expensive and also where do everyone else get their's from?
    I live in the East Bay, so where is the best place to get it from?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I believe mine is 9 or 10 cu ft for $7.75. Big bale. At the feed store.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I haven't seen it around here anywhere except Tractor Supply. I wish my feed store had it, but all they have that will work is hay.

4. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Our Tractor Supply is $5.69, just saw it tonight. Standard size big bale.

5. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

10 cubit feet for 9.00 at the farmers co op, but i recently found out on here that i can use the 137,000 tons of pine straw in my yard as bedding, and since i have 13 year old son... well you do the math [​IMG]

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Walmart generally isn't the best place to buy pine shavings since they tend to cater to small pet owners who are used to paying more than farmers would be willing to for things like bedding. Your best bet is usually to find a feed or farm supply store and buy the bale of pine shavings for horses. I usually get 7cu feet from the feed store where I buy my dog and cat food for around $6. Last weekend I snagged a bale from Farm and Fleet on sale for $3! Look in the yellow pages under Farm Equipment dealers and suppliers or Feed Dealers and call around to see who has the best prices in your area.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I get my big bale at TSC for $5.99. I forget the footage, but it's big!

8. montanachickie

montanachickie New Egg

Oct 5, 2010
    Has anyone used a chipper/shredded to make their own? We're pondering that idea.

9. montanachickie

montanachickie New Egg

Oct 5, 2010
    I'm thinking about making my own with a chipper/shredder. Has anyone tried this?

10. bad_coffee

bad_coffee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    petfooddirect.com ships my aspen bedding every couple of months. The Lady pays for it, but I think it's about $10 per 4 CF, and with the 20% coupon the shipping is just about free.

I can go to Petco here in NYC and pay $18 for a bale if I need it in a hurry.

B

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by