Best Place To Buy Show Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by HollyInColorado, Apr 29, 2008.

1. HollyInColorado

HollyInColorado Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I am not sure I am posting this in the right place, so forgive me if I am wrong.

My son will be old enough to show for 4-H this fall. We have always worked with our flock going to clinics and classes on how to care for chickens and prepare them for shows.

Now that he is going to be showing, and my younger son is right on his heels, where do we find show-quality chickens? He has a little D'Uccle roo that we got at a garage sale who he loves. He wants to show this breed.

I see SQ eggs and pairs on eggbid.com a lot but don't know if they are truly show quality.

Thanks! [​IMG]

Holly

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    First, get an APA standard of perfection, if you google American Poultry Associtation, then go to their site you can get a black and white standard for like $15. Once you have a standard, you can go to eggbid and look at the birds and see if they meet the standard. If they do, they are SQ.
    Also, buy from a well known breeder.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Go to a sanctioned bird show....A lot of people who show will also have a few birds for sale. Decide what breed you are wanting and buy the best you can afford ! The "Standard of Perfection" is a must.

4. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    Do not over look your little roo. I know of some one with a RIR roo who took a Grand Champ at a local show. He was a "packing peanut"![​IMG]

5. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you can get some at rochester hatchery

wolfbird

6. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    What breed are you interested in? D'Uccles? What color variety? You can google the breed your interested in and maybe get in touch with breed club and breeders.

7. HollyInColorado

HollyInColorado Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Thank you all for the great ideas. We have a trio of nice Dutch bantams that we have found and once we sell our young black star pair, we will be making room for those new show chickens! [​IMG]

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

If you want some nice d'uccles, please check out chellester's- a person right here on byc. She has beautiful birds and is good to work with. I have a couple of chicks from her and will be ordering more eggs soon. You can pm or email her.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Try posting on the d'uccle breed club website message boards, or looking on yahoo poultry groups such as:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HatchingEggsForSale/

and keep your eyes peeled on eggbid. I'd never buy eggs or birds unless I see pictures, though. If they have pictures and your not sure how nice they are, you can pm me the links and I'll let you know how nice they are and what's wrong and what's good! Hope this helps.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by