Best Place to Buy Welsh Harlequin Ducklings

NEgoosegirl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2015
I'm not 100% sure if this is the best place to post this. Sorry if I'm putting it in the wrong spot!

I am seriously considering WH ducklings for next spring, and I am looking for some advice. I want ducklings from a good egg-laying strain that also have the potential to be breeding-quality. (My plan is to get more than I'm going to keep so I can pick out the best ones.) Any suggestions where to buy from?

I checked into Holderreads and was all excited to place an order this fall/winter. But then I saw that their website says they expected 2020 to be the last year they sell day-olds. :(

Has anyone ever purchased ducklings (of any breed) from Sand Hill Preservation Center?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I understand they have nice breeds. But haven't personally bought from them. Did Holderreads say they will sell breeding stock?
I've been in touch with Holderreads and they said they don't have much left available. I asked to be put on the list for any available females and they said there probably won't be any by the time they get to me. Bummer.

We got ours from Metzer, and I’d say it was a mediocre experience. They sent us one injured duckling who died within a week, and didn’t send our whole order - following up with them wasn’t great.

But that aside, their Welsh harlequins aren’t the vivid white I expected- they are pretty, but not what I hoped they would look like.

Someone on here posted a photo of the ones they got from Meyer Hatchery, and they were gorgeous - however I don’t know if they are out for the season.

Metzer told me they had a huge demand for WH this year and had trouble keeping up - not sure if that had had any impact on the quality of the birds or not.

good luck - they really are pretty birds.

I got mine through Cackle and am pleased with the coloration on all of them.
I did get one out of six females whose feet are orange and bill is lighter than desired.

IMG_20201014_110152.jpg

You can see my off color girl in the pic below.
IMG_20200829_143302.jpg

That pink dish IS empty but it is a treat dish. They have additional water dishes off camera as well as the pool.

I've been in touch with Holderreads and they said they don't have much left available. I asked to be put on the list for any available females and they said there probably won't be any by the time they get to me. Bummer.
Thanks for the info. That is a bummer! 😞

We got ours from Metzer, and I’d say it was a mediocre experience. They sent us one injured duckling who died within a week, and didn’t send our whole order - following up with them wasn’t great.

But that aside, their Welsh harlequins aren’t the vivid white I expected- they are pretty, but not what I hoped they would look like.

Someone on here posted a photo of the ones they got from Meyer Hatchery, and they were gorgeous - however I don’t know if they are out for the season.

Metzer told me they had a huge demand for WH this year and had trouble keeping up - not sure if that had had any impact on the quality of the birds or not.

good luck - they really are pretty birds.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I’ve been considering Metzer, so it’s good to hear from someone who has bought from them. Yes, WHs are beautiful!

I got mine through Cackle and am pleased with the coloration on all of them.
I did get one out of six females whose feet are orange and bill is lighter than desired.

View attachment 2375932

You can see my off color girl in the pic below.
View attachment 2375935

That pink dish IS empty but it is a treat dish. They have additional water dishes off camera as well as the pool.
Thanks for the info. and for sharing photos! Your drake is handsome too. 😊

Back
Top Bottom