Best Place to Buy Welsh Harlequin Ducklings

I just got ducklings from McMurray a week ago. I don't know where they source their birds from but they all arrived very healthy and are doing well. I can't wait to see how their colors turn out.

I bought mine from Metzer's and was really happy with them. I have not had any issues with responsiveness from Metzer. They helped answer questions about feeding ducks. My ducks are just about 5 months now. I also picked Metzer because they are closer to where I live, so they would not ship as far.

I just got ducklings from McMurray a week ago. I don't know where they source their birds from but they all arrived very healthy and are doing well. I can't wait to see how their colors turn out.
Thanks so much for sharing! Sorry I didn’t reply sooner! My family always got our chickens from Murray McMurray and were very pleased with them. My original Sebastopol came from there too. If you think of it, I’d love to see photos of what their colors turn out to be!

I bought mine from Metzer's and was really happy with them. I have not had any issues with responsiveness from Metzer. They helped answer questions about feeding ducks. My ducks are just about 5 months now. I also picked Metzer because they are closer to where I live, so they would not ship as far.
Thank you so much for the info! I’m sorry I hadn’t replied yet! Do you have any photos of your birds (if you’re okay with sharing them)? I’m very curious about how the birds from different hatcheries might come out color-wise.

I am happy to share. Here is what mine look like. They range a slightly in color.

Attachments

• DSC_0302.JPG
    DSC_0302.JPG
    803.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0352.JPG
    DSC_0352.JPG
    921.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0364_1.JPG
    DSC_0364_1.JPG
    813.8 KB · Views: 21
I ordered from Metzer this past spring, and it was a very stressful experience for me. Two of my original three ducklings died within a day of arrival, including the welsh harlequin. The replacements they sent also didn't make it.

I was extremely lucky to find a local farmer that had a single Welshie duckling available. I found him indirectly through this forum on my state thread. I would recommend trying to find a local breeder. Have you checked the Livestock Conservancy website? You can search within a certain radius of your zip code for a specific breed.

The downside to buying locally is you probably have to buy straight run. So you'd need to have a plan for extra drakes.

Not trying to scare anyone off from ordering from Metzer (I know they generally have a good reputation), or from hatcheries in general. Just telling my personal experience.

I am happy to share. Here is what mine look like. They range a slightly in color.
Thank you! What sweet girls you have!! It's so helpful to look at pics of other's birds. I'm trying to get a feel for the range of what WHs can look like.

I ordered from Metzer this past spring, and it was a very stressful experience for me. Two of my original three ducklings died within a day of arrival, including the welsh harlequin. The replacements they sent also didn't make it.

I was extremely lucky to find a local farmer that had a single Welshie duckling available. I found him indirectly through this forum on my state thread. I would recommend trying to find a local breeder. Have you checked the Livestock Conservancy website? You can search within a certain radius of your zip code for a specific breed.

The downside to buying locally is you probably have to buy straight run. So you'd need to have a plan for extra drakes.

Not trying to scare anyone off from ordering from Metzer (I know they generally have a good reputation), or from hatcheries in general. Just telling my personal experience.
Thank you! Personal experience is exactly what I'm looking for! There don't seem to be many WH breeders here in southern Vermont, but maybe I just haven't found them yet.... I did check out the Livestock Conservancy website and found a few breeders in the general New England area that I can contact if I decide to go that route. They'd have to be willing to ship, though, so I'm not sure if it will work.
Thanks so much for the info.!

Thank you! Personal experience is exactly what I'm looking for! There don't seem to be many WH breeders here in southern Vermont, but maybe I just haven't found them yet.... I did check out the Livestock Conservancy website and found a few breeders in the general New England area that I can contact if I decide to go that route. They'd have to be willing to ship, though, so I'm not sure if it will work.
Thanks so much for the info.!
In addition to posting on your state thread (and any states that are close to you), you could also start a thread on the buy sell trade forum. Good luck!

Here's my girl, just for fun. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_153605720_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20201016_153605720_HDR~2.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 16
In addition to posting on your state thread (and any states that are close to you), you could also start a thread on the buy sell trade forum. Good luck!

Here's my girl, just for fun. :)
Good ideas! Thanks! And thanks for sharing the pic — so sweet!

Back
Top Bottom