Best place to buy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfooted, Nov 28, 2009.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I want to get some Welsh Harlequin ducklings in the spring. Where is the best place to get them?

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    If you are not looking to buy from a breeder I would go with a hatchery that is closest to you.
    You will get a lot of different opinions when you ask a question like this. You go with the one that sounds the best and most comfortable to you.

Good luck.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It depends on the quality and price you want to pay. What are you looking for?

4. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I'm just would like to have some nice ducks, but not necessarily show quaility.

5. rainplace

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have both Metzer and Holderreads Welsh Harlequins. The Holderreads ducks have better feathering and body type. The Metzer ducks can be ordered in smaller qty and if you pay a little extra they will sex them. The coloring on the Metzer ducks is a bit off, but the smartest duck in my flock is one of the Metzer ducks.

[​IMG]
    This is Shelley - the Metzer duck that is too smart for her own good. She likes to "help" me when I turn the compost pile by jumping in any holes I dig and getting all the worms out of the way before I refill the hole. Isn't she thoughtful? [​IMG]

As you can see her bill is still speckled. It should be solid black or olive green by now. Other than the color fault, she and her sisters have been very healthy, playful, friendly ducks.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  7. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I was thinking about get 10 ducklings. I also had thought about Holderreads as I've read they have nice ducks.

8. rainplace

Holderreads would be a great choice! Better get your order in early.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Here is a Holderreads drake
    [​IMG]

The duck on the left is a Holderreads...
    [​IMG]

10. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Thanks for the photo of the Metzer duck, Wifezilla. Mismarked beak and all, she still looks more like a WH than the photo on their site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by