best place to by meat chicken is......

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Country Living Farm, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    where is the best place to buy a meat chicken? Should I looked for best price or ones that hold up the longest without dying.

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I had just seen an add for those ranger chickens and I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember thinking the price was good. Then again... are you just looking for the Cornish Xs?

3. Burbs

Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    South East Idaho
    I have had better luck with Welp over MM. Those are the only two that I have dealt with.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Easy decision. Go with the one closest to you, so they're in the mail the shortest time. All the hatcheries get their broilers from the same couple of places, so beyond distance, it really doesn't matter where you get them.

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooops now I see this and I just posted a question on these exact two hatcheries, although I did question if there was a difference between jumbo and regular crosses.

Welp is cheaper and has free shipping.

6. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I went with ideal and have been happy so far!!

7. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    We ordered meaties from Welp. Excellent service. They even called us before shipping them as we ordered on a Mon, they were hatched on Tu & they said they had extras, did we want them? They were here late Fri. Luckily we live in a small town, so Mo was able to go pick them up from the PO at almost midnight when they came in. They sent about 20 extras.

Do a LOT of research on Cornish Rocks before you buy though. I found out a LOT of things after we got them, and we won't do them again, but rather a longer growing standard dual purpose breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by