1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best place to get hardware cloth or welded wire mesh on a budget?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IRL, Apr 24, 2010.

1. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    I'm planning to cover my future chicken run with eather 1" by 1" hardware cloth or welded wire mesh. Idealy, i would find it in 6' by 50' rolls. All the prices online i've seen are pretty far off from the $120 i was hoping to spend. Where did you find the best prices for your mesh? Thanks!

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

try craigs list

3. jondecker76

jondecker76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    i second the craigslist suggestion - there is a lot of things to be had very cheap!

A friend of mine was so thrifty that he was able to get all of his fence for free from area farms!

4. merryberry

merryberry Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    Try ebay too. I found some really cheap there.
    Another option is asking a local place to order it for you - although that might not be the cheapest, you could get what you want. In my search, I even found that Lowes was willing to order something for me without a special charge.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Check with your local feed store/farm & home stores to see what they have in stock. Lowes wants a fortune for 3' x 25' half inch hardware cloth!!!!!

I found half inch hardware cloth at a local farm and home store....100' long x 3' tall to put around the base of a 20' x 10' kennel area to keep predators out, plus I used it to enclose my chicken run 12' x 6' tall all for only $94, which is a lot cheaper than buying it from Lowes in a much smaller amount. I also covered the top of the 20' x 10' area with it. The size of the fencing to buy is to keep your chickens/ducks from sticking their beaks/heads through where a raccoon can pull it through to decapitate and/or kill.

I also layed the hardware cloth on the ground of the 12 x 6 run and stapled it to the wood support boards along the bottom to keep predators from digging in. Depending on the size of your coop, run and any additional spaces, it really doesn't take long to use up 100'. In the end you'll have the peace of mind knowing you have fully protected your flock.

6. dmclalin

dmclalin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    South Lyon, Michigan
  7. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Go to some of your local country hardware stores. A lot of them will sell it to you by the foot instead of having to pay the huge price for a giant roll you do not need.
    I refuse to by it from home depot or Lowes. Thier prices are crazy. A friend told me about Humm's hardware here local in Jacksonville and he helped me out and saved a bunch of money.

8. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    1 person likes this.
  9. dmclalin

Nov 27, 2011
    South Lyon, Michigan
    chicken_s is right. I just ordered 1/2 wardware mesh 36" x 100'. Cheapest out there by about $40 plus free shipping.

10. dmclalin

Nov 27, 2011
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I cannot find 1" x 1" welded wire mesh in longer lengths like36" x 100'. Also cheap, DUH. Anyone have eyes on some?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by