Best place to get hatching eggs ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BuddyB, Feb 18, 2015.

1. BuddyB

BuddyB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2014
    NorCal
    Hello, was just wondering if anyone has any tips on a good place to buy some jumbo eggs? Or possibly have some they're selling? Moving off grid and need to get one more hatch in before there's no electricity! Thanks

2. AClassicalLife

AClassicalLife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    I was just searching for this the other day and saw a few threads recommending James Marie Farms, so you might look there at their Jumbo Coturnix. I believe they have 3 different kinds, but I only saw photos for two of them. They are NPIP certified. Other than that, I met someone who bought eggs from Capital City Poultry on ebay (they had good reviews) and had a lot of success with them. Their listings seem to state they are also NPIP. I'm looking at different places for when we're ready for eggs, too. Good luck with your eggs!

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I know both..... James Marie Farms is Robby. Capital City Poultry is Alissa. Both have good stock. Robby's will run larger, Alissa's will be a little cheaper.... Both will hatch nice quail.... Good luck.

4. AClassicalLife

Jan 25, 2014

Great! Since you're familiar with both of them, will you answer a question I have? The person I met with Alissa's stock bought Golden Italians from them. I had never heard of "Golden Italians" before and when I went to compare on Robby's website, they had "Italians" and "Italian Specked". So my question is, what's the difference? (Between these "Golden Italians" and James Marie Farms' two different Italians.) Or, is there any? Perhaps it's a case of different names, same thing (in one of those).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks

What Iv seen are common Italians.....Seems there is no real correct names for alot of coturnix color mutations.... Alot of what ever someone likes than day......

6. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I have a few hundred eggs in the incubator right now from Alissa and from Robby. I get better hatch rates from Alissa's eggs, and much better service (Not dissing on Robby, I just prefer Alissa) Yes Robby's birds are bigger, But to me, for better hatch rates, cheaper eggs, and she sends lots of extras (To me at least) I go Alissa all the way. I do however get Robby's eggs when I need new bloodlines from nice big stock (I prefer Jumbo birds over any). Also, when I first got into quail, I started through Vailsquail, and Paul was great then, with service and his fertility. But I would now caution against him, his fertility has dropped substantially. He has awesome birds if you get any to hatch though. However, as far as coturnix, especially jumbo's, Everyone is flooded with orders right now. I havent talked to Robby lately, but Alissa and Paul are both having long waiting lists right now. I am hatching 250 chicks a week now and still I have started a waiting list, and it is approaching 600 birds on it now. And that is just local orders. I dont even sell eggs and I am being flooded, its crazy.

1 person likes this.
  7. AClassicalLife

Jan 25, 2014
    Thanks Fat Daddy and WaterfowlWierdo. Helped me out a great deal. :) I appreciate the feedback, since I'm aware of all three mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by