Best Place To Get Mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by awtandrocks, Aug 31, 2009.

1. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    I feel ripped off...

I wanted to get some mealworms for treats and to teach a little "come when called training" for my 3wk old BRs.
    I went down to my local pet shop and the mealworms were $5.99 for 25 supers or $5.99 for 100 med sized. [​IMG]

Now I'm looking online and seeing I could have gotten a lot more for my money by shopping online gaah!
    So where does everyone else get theirs??

2. I'm growing my own.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I paid 3.49 for 35. Yeah, that's right, ten cents each.

Making my High Dollar Mealworms starter stock for my own worm supply. (but it is so hard not to sneak the chickens fifty cents or so)

4. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    there is a byc member who sells meal worms, and also starter packs to raise your own, i just have to remember the namelol

5. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    I tried ordering them online but they arrived dead, so I went to the feed store (cheaper at least than our pet store) and bought them for about .5 each and am now "growing" some for the gals. We are still waiting for beetles so that we can start feeding the girls----patience is being cultivated [​IMG]

6. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    www.bestnest.com and www.wormman.com I believe these two are where we used to buy them for our sugar gliders, and then a chickadee we'd rescued. We rarely had a problem when they were shipped-- and when we did once, we got a free shipment.

7. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I had my friend pick some up at a reptile show. They were 10 dollars for 1000.

8. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Quote:I have some mealworms, if you need. $10 for 1000 ( + 20% overcount = 1200) plus $4.80 for shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

See my post for more info.

9. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks all!
    I think I will have to keep buying them as worms because as grossed out as my wife is about having worms in her fridge it would be that much worse if I was growing them.[​IMG]

And special thanks to sillybirds my next order will be from you! I have to use up my $30 worth from the pet store first.

AWT-

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Wild Birds Unlimited has very nice mealworms, 500 for $10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by