Best Place to get new chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Apopka Cluckers, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Hello,

This might be posted in the wrong topic but I was wondering where everyone thinks the best place is to order chicks?

It seems my initial group, which I thought consisted of 3 roos out of 8 chickens, actually contains 5 roos and 3 hens. I am in need of some new chicks to start raising.

I was deciding between either Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, or RIR. I have gone to the online hatchery sites but it seems you cannot get chicks until spring. Is this the norm? You'll have to excuse my ignorance here ... I'm quite new to this.

Thanks in advance

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hello and [​IMG]!

My only experience with hatcheries is mypetchicken.com. i used them because you can order as few as 3 chicks and they will sex them for you. (They aren't 100% accurate, but close enough). i notice on their site that they won't have chicks again until February 2009.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] You need to try Ideal Poultry if you want hatchery chicks. I believe they hatch year round. [​IMG]

5. Apopka Cluckers

Dec 29, 2008
    Thank you all for the great replies.

Ideal looks to be the only one who hatches year round so I will give them a try.

Thanks again

6. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:hmmm perhaps you asked the question here because fate has you headed in the direction of hatching some chicks?

7. Apopka Cluckers

Dec 29, 2008
    Oh, I would be lying if I said that I hadn't thought about it already [​IMG]

Problem is that I am so new at this that I can't even seem to be able to tell a hen from a roo lol. I am trying to get my chicks in a row .. pun intended [​IMG]

I have been reading on hatching but it seems to be a lot more involved than I originally thought. I just want to make sure that I have the time and knowledge to do it right when I do attempt it. That and I need to convince the wife to do it lol. She already thinks I'm crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by