Best place to order chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MsChickenMomma, Dec 22, 2012.

1. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    I am going to order some chicks in the spring, and I only want Females because I have enough roosters. I wanted a variety of hens as well. The only place we have ever ordered chicks was from Murray Mcmurray, but they have a 25 chick minimum and I only need 6-9 chicks. So does anyone know of a website that I can order chicks, only get females, and they always arrive healthy? Murray Mcmurray has always been a very good website to get chicks, but I can't get more than 9 because I already have 15 chickens, and my coop is not very large. So if anyone can give me some websites to check out that would be great! I also can't get hatching eggs because I don't have an incubator. So I really need just chicks (Preferably a day or two old)

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

~Ashley [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The ones that come to mind for you are Ideal, MyPetChicken, and Meyer.

Ideal does not have a minimum number of chicks, they have a minimum dollar amount.

MyPetChicken has various minimums. Many people think anyone can order as few as three from them, but that is not really the case. It depends on time of year and how close you are to a major post office.

Meyer has different minimums based on time of year.

You need to call and talk to the hatchery. Meyer and Ideal will very possibly ship free packing peanuts unless you specifically ask them not to. Those are extra chicks, probably all roosters, that are included to help keep the others warm during shipping.

You might be able to talk them into a deal. If the breed is not that important to you, you might look at their variety packs. Even if you don't meet their minimum number requirements for that variety pack, you might be able to talk them into sending you various breeds of their choice. For example, you might tell them to send you 9 pullets that are brown egg layers, their choice, and please mix them up.

If you can talk them into this, you will get a variety of extra females they hatch. No telling what you'll get. It's worth asking, especially since you're talking to them about the packing peanuts anyway.

3. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Okay thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by