Best place to order Silkies from

It depends on how much you're looking to spend. Silkies can get pretty expensive. As mentioned above, shows are a good place to find breeders. I got my first stock from Cackle Hatchery. Out of 17 chicks, I got one really nice rooster that I showed and won Best of Breed with, but most were pretty pet quality. Some well known breeders are Sunshine Silkies, Indigo Egg (Bobbi Porto), Magnolia Silkies, and Harvest Breeze Farms.
I’m on the west coast and obviously would prefer to drive to get them vs having them shipped (pasty butt and stress). We live in Tumalo/Bend (central) Oregon, but have a house (the “Money Pit”) in North Lake Tahoe that I’m going to be at most of the time until March doing some small upgrades to it and getting it ready to rent out, so anywhere between the Reno/Truckee Area up through Culver, Oregon would be ideal. I haven’t met anyone in the Northern California/Nevada area that has even heard of Silkies. When I ask about them, they look at me like I’m from a different planet. I’m sure people have, I just haven’t run into any down there who has.
Thank you for the recommendations so far. If you can think of or hear of anything/anyone else, please let me know.

can anyone recommend a good, reputable breeder or hatchery to order show quality Silkies from?
If you go to chicken shows you can go up to breeders and see if they have some to sell.

Depending on where you live, facebook has chicken and silkie groups all over the nation so that would be a good start.

As far as hatchery, cackle has some okay stock, not show quality by any means. But Ive seen people get hatchery stock and over the years breed them until they are show worthy. cacklehatchery.com if youre just looking at starting a line to work with for a while.

It depends on how much you're looking to spend. Silkies can get pretty expensive. As mentioned above, shows are a good place to find breeders. I got my first stock from Cackle Hatchery. Out of 17 chicks, I got one really nice rooster that I showed and won Best of Breed with, but most were pretty pet quality. Some well known breeders are Sunshine Silkies, Indigo Egg (Bobbi Porto), Magnolia Silkies, and Harvest Breeze Farms.

Back
Top Bottom