1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best place to purchase chicks & what to expect?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bwahk, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bwahk

bwahk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    I'm looking to purchase some babies from a hatchery ... but I've heard the mortality rate can be rediculous. Any recommendations? I'm in CA, perhaps there's a local hatchery I can order from?

When they arrive, what care will they need?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    IMO- the mortality rate isn't really the fault of the hatchery- but more the post office and circumstances surrounding shipping. Sure, there's always the chance that some chicks will hatch week or suffer problems that only allow then to live a few days, but that happens when I hatch from my own eggs at home. You could see if there's a TSC (Tractor Supply Co) close to you. They've got their annual "Chick Days" going on right now. At least that way you can look at the chicks to give a better indication of how healthy/active they are. Or, search Craigslist for some local breeders. If you do go the hatchery route, Ideal is in TX, which isn't that far from CA. They also have a $25 minimum in of a 25 CHICK minimum. Good luck :)
    Nikki

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. OEGB100

OEGB100 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Laredo texas
    Yeah mortality rate is ridiculous. I got 50 old english game bantam from ideal and 7 died within the first three days, I got reinbursed no problem with that. Also on wednesday I recieved another order from cackle and already los 13 out of the 50, also got refund. I dont know whos fault it is but it is really sad. So my best recommendation is to expect dad one because there will be. Refund is only for the first days only after that pray!

4. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Sigh. That's what I thought.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    See the thing is I'd rather get in person.... but... the hens I want are blue andaluasian, but I can't find any locally. :(

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Try to find a TSC, alot of times they'll add what your wanting to their next order if the hatchery they're ordering from offers them!
    Nikki

7. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Awesome, thank you.

8. bwahk

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Awesome, thank you.

9. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Hey where is this amazing ideal chicken hatchery in Texas? Do you have a link?

10. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    I'd check TSC first, but be aware that if you order them from a hatchery it might take a couple of months til they're available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by