Best places to get horses and horse trailers.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Okay, it's a bit random and I am not in the market for horses(right now).

I know of a couple of horse dealers/breeders, that will take just a truck and head to Oklahoma(I 'think' it was Oklahoma). Once there they would buy a large horse trailer, fill it with cheap, but good quality quarters horses and come back to NC and turn a profit on everything, horses and trailers.

So is this the way to do it? Just curious.

As I've said, not in the market, just been wondering how many people do it and whatnot.

2. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Right now, everyone down here is getting out of the horse business since they changed the tax laws. You can't get the ag. exempt with a horse breeding (or riding) farm anymore. There are many great horses for sale,so it is totally a buyer's market. That may be why they're picking up such cheap horses, because in the past, I would wish them the best of luck in trying something like that.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I knew these folks probably a good 5 years ago when they were doing this. Perhaps there was a certain sale they were going down to?

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I worked at a ranch in northern mid-Michigan from 1999-2004. The owners, perhaps once a year, would go to an auction in IL and get ranch broke geldings cheap from outfits in the great plains states (NE, KS, Dakotas). They would use them on their smaller ranch, some they would use for riding lessons and they resold quite a few horses. They used to make money off it (they also grew their own hay and bought grain in bulk and corn directly from the Amish, so feed was cheap). They ended up selling the ranch in '05 and I was coming out of pregnancy and still nursing so I moved my horses to a boarding stable. Then again, back then people would still pay $2,00-5,000 for a well-broke trail horse.

5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    That's certainly possible. Every year the big breeders have big sales, but those horses usually aren't cheap.
    They may have just gone on craigslist or to the feedstore and seen all the ads of cheap horses for sale. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by