Best places to sell eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by farmgirl53, Apr 24, 2008.

1. farmgirl53

farmgirl53 New Egg

Apr 16, 2008
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Does anyone living in the Vancouver, WA area know a good place to sell eggs? I don't have a huge flock - just 12 lovely girls - but they produce far more than we can eat. [​IMG] I've advertised on Craigslist without any success. [​IMG]

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Try a local farmer's market. Keep posting on craigslist once in awhile most people only look at the newest posts. Check with your neighbors and people you work with.

I have lots of eggs and don't have a problem finding people who want fresh eggs.

Good luck. Once you find someone they usually will be a repeat customer.

Ann

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have seen sighns that say "fresh eggs for sale" try get your paws on one of those.

4. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Another thought: Send a letter to the neighborhood churches letting them know that you are selling eggs. Most churches have a ladies group that bake cakes all the time for dinners and get togethers. Most Baptist churches are the ones who have weekly dinners, deserts for the worshipers. So don't leave those churches out. Tell them in your letter that you would appreciate them making an announcement in services that you sell fresh eggs cheaper than the stores. [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If they are fertile, i didnt see you say you have a male, then you can sell them on ebay.

6. HollyInColorado

HollyInColorado Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Colorado
    We have about 15 hens who produce way more than we can eat too. I started out by giving our neighbors and friends a dozen, and told them that if they liked them, they were $3 a dozen. I also did this at church and at my son's school. I put our phone number on the egg cartons and people would always call back. I got an overwhelming response. The girls couldn't keep up and we were rationing our egg consumption. [​IMG]

7. farmgirl53

farmgirl53 New Egg

Apr 16, 2008
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions.

I have given a lot of eggs away but need some business sense!!! I think suggesting if people like them, they can buy them from me is a great idea.

I do have a rooster and I'm trying to get my very broody turkey to incubate a few eggs as none of the other girls seem interested - so I'd like to sell them as fertile too.

8. sbwhite0

sbwhite0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Terre Haute,IN
    Here we have a stand step up on the weekend at a local farmers swap meet. I sell every egg that I take. I only pay $15 a week for the spot. I also sell some other things there too.

9. John T

John T Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    SE, IA
    I have 13 hens and 2 roosters. Production has picked up so I have coworkers, friends, even my minister is starting to buy from me. In fact I started my flock from eggs I bought from eBay and incubated myself.

Like others have mentioned, you tell people you have “fresh eggs”, you won't have any problem getting rid of them.

10. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Well you will never get all your money back but my goal is to pay the feed bill and supply my family with something good to eat and the people that buy my eggs.They taste better and I feel like I'm helping people eat healthier by supplying them with something better for them than the grocery store eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by