Best places to stock up wholesale??? we need to economize fast

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by maf2008, Sep 7, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    My husband is out of work and like 12 % Americans... he is still unemployed. We have cut our budget to the bare necessities.

No more cable TV... ( well watch chicken TV!)
    No eating out
    No shopping for un necessary stuff.....
    No more second car

But we are really a lot happier. - we have been growing our own food (chicken and beef / goats for milk if we need it. I am louse at gardening we have had a drought...) [​IMG]

Problem I need ideas to save more money and spend less. What suggestions for getting wholesale food for basics in 50 lb bags... where is a good place or does anyone have ideas?

I want to stock up on

1) Oatmeal
    2) Flour
    3) Beans and Rice
    4) Noodles
    5) Tomatoes and tomato sauces and other stuff

I figure that if each few weeks I get large bags of stuff this will cut the budget even more. (plus if all chaos hits we can be a stocked up anyway...) [​IMG]

all ideas to economize are really appreciated! Please? [​IMG] any ideas/advise to streach my budget? [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Tomatoes and sauces, you can look in your area for people selling tomatoes, then make your own sauces. Last summer (haven't heard the prices this year yet) there was a person selling tomatoes for $5 for a 5 gallon bucket.
    I'm not sure about the others, have you tried Sam's?

ETA: You don't have to can the tomatoes, just peel them and freeze them. You can freeze sauces instead of canning as well.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If there are Cash & Carry's where you live, that's a good way to go. They primarily cater to restaurants, but are open to the public, too.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Sam's or maybe a local food coop?[​IMG]

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Try the Yahoo! freecycle groups for tomatoes, Im sure there are lots to get for free on there! And maybe canning supplies too!

Other than that, Sam's club???

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We buy our bulk food at Costco or Grover's here in Phoenix.

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

The perfect place for getting good Christmas gifts is from www.1saleaday.com/ . Everyday they have three categories:
    1. Miscellaneous - usually 90-95% off or FREE
    I recently bought a friend's son a Wilson $50 baseball glove for $5.
    EDIT: I also got him a $100 microscope set for $5; we're saving that for his birthday next month.
    2. Wireless
    3. Watches - again usually 90-95% or FREE These are usually top-of-the-line watches.

There's a different sale in all three categories every day, so click your bookmark every day to see what they have. Great bargains!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  8. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Go to www.frugalvillage.com and search for the salvage grocery store list. Perhaps there is one in your area.

I don't know what state you're in. Do you have any of the Amish/Mennonnite bulk stores in your area? This is the only place I can find bulk wheat, etc. There are none in my state.

9. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Do you have any of the Amish/Mennonnite bulk stores in your area?

i was just going to say this... they get their supplies somewhere and its not the sams. there is a gal who has a wholesale place near us - she has great prices. and i took her some eggs last week....nothing like bartering
    ;-)

and dont over look those dollar stores or big lots.

ps my favorite thing to do in the dollar store is ask:
    me: how much is this?
    irritated stock boy: a dollar
    me: how much is this?
    irritated stock boy: one dollar

it never gets old......
    ;-)​

10. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Is there any chance you can barter eggs (or even goat's milk) and possibly manure for produce (like tomatoes) from neighbours who garden?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by