Best Plants for Chickens to Forage On

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ravenvalor, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ravenvalor

ravenvalor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Hello,

Can someone recommend a spring crop that my chickens here in North Carolina can forage on? I would like to grow a 50' X 50' garden and then move the coop and run over the garden in the spring when the crop is ready. Thanks for the great help.

Jim

2. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
  3. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    I think I am going to try to find a prepackaged variety of legumes (clover, vetch, lespedeza, etc.).

4. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) is rich in omega 3 and chicken friendly too from what I've gathered from BYC.

5. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    Purslane is good, but not enough mass. The blends are annual. The best forage is alfalfa, high in bio-mass and because it lasts 5 years. If you really want the most bio-mass, plant a fava cover crop in the Fall, for spring consumption. At 5 ft tall, a little scything may be needed.

6. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  7. ravenvalor

Aug 1, 2008
    Thank you so much for the good advice. Will you please recommend something that I can plant now here in Central NC? I have already turned over some of the dirt in the 50 x 50 run. The chickens are in the run helping me get it ready for seed planting. They have been enjoying the worms that I have been uncovering. Of course I will move the run before planting the seed.
    Thanks again,

8. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Great thread. Just last night I was googling this topic and the best plants suggested were white clover and rye grass. Getting a packaged mix seems like a good option. The run is only 40' x 40' and always has some wild grass but I would like to add a bit more nutrition if I can.

9. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by