Best plug in thermostat?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Hi All,

I'm finishing up my homemade bator and I've seen quite a few options for thermostats. I have seen that a lot of people like water heater thermostats but plug ins like ReptiTemp seem so much easier to get set up. I've seen a couple of different brands and I'm wondering what your experience is with them? Any recommendations on a good one?

2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I just ordered this.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/IncuKit-Incubator-T … 2324wt_754

Ok now that looks cool! So do I understand correctly, it is a heater, fan, and thermostat all in one plug-in unit???​

3. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I made my homemade incubator a couple of years ago, using a light bulb for heat and a water heater thermostat. It worked ok, but the temps fluctuated too much. I was forever adjusting the temps up or down. Last year I bought a Ranco controller. It's an electronic controller that your plug the heat source (in my case--a light bulb) and it controls the temperature really accurately. I was very happy with the Ranco--it's a much more accurate thermostat than the water heater thermostat. I bought the Ranco on ebay for around $65.

4. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Please get a nice thermostat. a helix is one of the best. Thermostat issues (like heat spikes and cold drops) are almost always preventable. Best scenario ever is to buy a backup battery/converter. You can find them online for electronics lieke computers(or a music store as they are used for amps and other expensive items that can be perm damaged by a surge or dip). They are an interuption switch between the wall and your incubator. When you use when it stops any and all brown or black outs. That translates to even voltage throughout the day, even when power surges, dips or cuts out. This with a good thermostat would almost guarnatee (99.99999999999%) that you will not lose an egg to any controlable electronic factor.

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:Ok now that looks cool! So do I understand correctly, it is a heater, fan, and thermostat all in one plug-in unit???

Yep, and it comes with a heating element to put around the incubator.

6. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    The Ranco controller that I got on e-Bay was used, but in excellent condition. Plus, is was already wired--ready to plug in to the electrical outlet.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:I have one of these that I use in my hatcher and it works like a charm. Be sure you get the correct size for the container you are using for your incubator.

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I got the big one because I ham making a cabinet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by