Best Poop Removal Method

outdoorzgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
Lexington, NC
I let my chickens run free at least 5 hours a day. I only have 6 chickens now, but plan on buying at least 6 more. I have 5 acres of pasture, but instead of hanging out in the pasture, they all hang out in my yard and driveway. Now we all know they tend to poop every couple minutes, so you can imagine my problem. Poop everywhere. Now I really don't mind them hanging out in the yard because I believe they are probably much safer than wandering around my pasture. We have plenty of hawks, but I need to know what you free rangers do about all the poop. I have thought about buying a small pooper scooper for dogs and just picking up poop on a daily basis. Am I delusional for even thinking I can keep my yard poop free with chickens? Also, they have now decided they like digging through all my pine straw in the front of my house where I keep my foundation plants. Needless to say it is a sloppy looking mess now. I can only imagine what it is going to be like with 6 more chickens
barnie.gif

I rake the runs and yard every couple of days. i also have a pooper scooper (it's a little rake and thing to scoop it into) that I use daily. There is NO way for me to get it all. I have over 50 chickens right now 30 of which free range daily. We are on 5/8 of an acre and they stay mostly in the back where is is just dirt. They do like to come in the front yard and peck around in the grass. We don't really have much in the way of landscaping at the moment, but I have heard chickens will destroy it. You can do your best, but it isn't easy! Good luck.

Wow, you have your hands full! My husband would tell me to take a hike if I asked for 50 chickens, lol. You must get a ton of eggs each day. I guess I will get a small pooper scooper and redo my foundation landscaping to make it more chicken friendly.

LOL I only have 21 and I CANNOT keep the poo off the driveway!! As the person before me, I don't have much for landscaping but I don't think that I would want to fix it every time they were out if I did... LOL I simply step over the turd on the driveway and either scrap or hose the excess off every few weeks....

Hope you find the answer to your problem!!

You have to find a way to keep them off your driveway, that is all there is to it. Wherever they go they will leave something behind. The best method to picking up the poo is walk around a bit and you will surely do some collecting.
lau.gif
Or better yet send out the kids to play. They always seem to get more on them.
gig.gif

Quote:
Yours too? Mine whinges we have too many chickens and then shouts from the other room, "I found an incubator that holds THREE HUNDRED eggs!!! You can even do 3 batches at once!"

I'm just a lucky unhelpful person, my driveway is on the other side of the chickens so the don't go there. Neener.
tongue.png

I can rent out my Boston Terrier, he loves chicken poop and boy is he in a jones right now for some, since the girls are not coming out these days and leaving him any treats. You can see him out in the yard digging through 14 inches of snow looking for that one last poop he did not yet get, gross.

Hahaha, yes my shoes have definitely become unwilling pooper picker uppers. When I first got my chickens, my dog Skittles would run in their cage after I let them out and have a feast.
sickbyc.gif
Apparently, she has also had her fill of chicken poop because she no longer has any desire to eat it. She does like to roll in it though. I will never understand why dogs feel the need to eat and roll in poop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom