Best pressure cooker for tough old birds

kfelton0002

Free Ranging
8 Years
Dec 8, 2015
Southeastern KY
My head is swimming from reading so many reviews ranting or raving about products that I don't much understand. I am lost when it comes to pressure cookers, but have been told they are the best method to cook tough old cull roosters or hens.

So my question is: what is the best pressure cooker to serve my purpose.. electric or stovetop? What are y'all using?

There are Instant Pots, Crock Pot pressure cookers, and all sorts with tons of bells and whistles. Help me please!

:th

You can spend lots of money on pressure cookers with high end features.
IMO you'd be just as well off with a used pressure cooker from a yard sale as long as it still holds pressure. It will serve the same purpose.
Crock pots work too. Or you can just cook the birds low and slow till the meat falls off the bone. Low temperature (200-220F) for as long as it takes. 5 hours or more.

I'm betting the instapot is just a snazzy new name for an electric digitally controlled pressure cooker(which have been around for awhile).
I prefer my old style PC, using my ear(sound of steam emission) for the right heat setting, tho I do wish I had bought a bigger one.

You can spend lots of money on pressure cookers with high end features.
IMO you'd be just as well off with a used pressure cooker from a yard sale as long as it still holds pressure. It will serve the same purpose.
Crock pots work too. Or you can just cook the birds low and slow till the meat falls off the bone. Low temperature (200-220F) for as long as it takes. 5 hours or more.

Thank you so much for your advice!! I am looking forward to culling this go around. Im going to try a new chicken noodle soup recipe and coq au vin! :)

@kfelton0002 did you end up with an Instant Pot by chance, and if so do you have any feedback, etc.

I read @aart 's recent post concerning older birds on this other thread, and that got me wondering about the "Instant Pot" cooker that someone gave us for Christmas this year. So I did a search and found this thread.

I'd never heard of an Instant Pot, but I guess it's a popular as seen on TV sort of thing?... we don't watch TV other than netflix, so the Instant Pot was new to me.... so I'm not sure how common they are or much about them at all really.

Anyway, the Instant Pot is still in the box, and I have a rooster destined for the table, so I was wondering if anyone has used an Instant Pot and had any thoughts or recommendations, on this particular item or in general.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom