1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best price for food grade DE online?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vjbakke, Mar 31, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We don't have a store that carries it here. Are thier some online places that have free or low shipping costs for it? What is a good price?

Thanks

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You may already have found this, but it's a link to the map of local distributors....just in case there's one not too far a drive. Those shipping costs are astronomical.

http://perma-guard.com/distributors.html

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Yay Chicks! :

You may already have found this, but it's a link to the map of local distributors....just in case there's one not too far a drive. Those shipping costs are astronomical.

http://perma-guard.com/distributors.html

Thanks! I didn't know of this site, there isn't a place close to us that carries it. Are their other brands?​

4. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
  5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I buy it on Ebay from Wolf Creek Ranch - $25 for a 50LB bag with $30 shipping. I admit the shipping is high, but $55 for 50lbs is still the cheapest I have found.

6. DavisCreek

DavisCreek Out Of The Brooder

Pardon ;-)

What is DE used for in chicken having?
    Is it a must?

P-

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Not everyone uses DE. I use it to keep things dried out in the coop and in the cracks to cut down (and hopefully eliminate) mites and such.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    What is DE used for in chicken having?
    Is it a must?

The only proven use is as an insecticide, and an absorbant.

Many people feed it to the birds thinking it will kill worms, but the truth is it's never been proven to have any effect on interal parasites.

It's not "needed" and there are other things that will accomplish the same tasks​

9. DavisCreek

DavisCreek Out Of The Brooder

Thanks Yay Chicks and Bear Foot Farm ;-)

10. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    We have a local farm co-op that stocks the food grade DE in 10 lb bags. I think its $9.00 or so.
    If it was not for this forum I would have never heard or thought to use DE. Like most I think DE and immediately think of a pool filter.

This forum is a great source of information and as a new chick owner, invaluable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by