Best Product For Mites And Lice????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by aShMaNv, Jun 27, 2011.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Hello. I am still fairly new to chickens and have recently noticed that I have a mite problem. I have heard of so many products used with mixed reviews. I sell and eat all the eggs my chickens lay so I need something that is safe, but these mites have to go now, so I also need something that is very, very effective. I have heard of something that is supposed to be natural called Poultry Protector. Then I have heard a lot about the Sevin Dust. Is the Sevin Dust safe?? I just need to know the best product for QUICKLY and EFFECTIVELY taking care of my mite problem.

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i dust with Permethrin, and it works pretty good

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I`ve used Sevin all my life. Sevin is safe, even for hens with chicks. A product that is excellent for infestations is Adams Flea and Tick Dip. It is mixed as it says on the label in a 5 gal. bucket and you dip each bird up to the top of the neck. You can smell it on them for about a month (not objectional), so there is no need to re treat in 10 days as with most products. It also contains permethrin, so poultry dust may work almost as good. The good thing about the dip is that it can be sprayed over the whole coop, roosts, nests, run, and all. Eggs should be washed, but can be safely eaten. Many people use DE and claim good results, but I have found it to be totally useless in poultry applications. So there, the observations of an old man. Have fun..........Pop

5. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Thanks for all the help. I tried the Adams flea and tick dip this morning. We will see how it does. Was very easy to use and the birds were easy to work with this morning lol. Usually they are stubborn as heck when I try to get them to do something for me.

6. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I had the same problem with my silkies, they had lice. I tried the powder but that didn't seem to take care of the problem completely.
    Adams Flea and Tick Dip, is this the correct product? Flea and Tick Dip for dogs?

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup, dats da one.........Pop

8. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    I battled mites it seems like forever. I treated every 7 to 10 days with 7. I scrubbed every inch of the pens, I treated out side around the pens. I treated the chickens and I even hand picked any mites I saw on the girls. In 2 to 3 days, I would see mites again. I had such an infestation I even lost a Roo. Then I got to reading up on mites and figured I might have a rat/mouse issue, which are big carriers of mites. So my husband and I declared war, tore the barn apart. We emptied everything, cut out the bottom inside wood and found nests upon nests of rats! I tell you honestly that in 2 days we killed 88 rats of various ages. That was 3 weeks ago. We put out rat/mouse poison, in those little house things that you need a key to get into to change the poison. Since we did that, and I treated once again with 7 and killed about 30 more rats, then treated the girls twice with Ivermec, the mite issue is over. THANK GOD!!! I know we still have a few more rats and I will get them too, but I believe the Ivermec was one of the biggest helps of all. I keep my pens cleaned and only use sand for their floor. That helps with cleanup.

Hope this helps Good luck!

9. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Yup, dats da one.........Pop

Thank you. I will give that a shot.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Since you are selling eggs (I am assuming for consumption, not hatching), you need to use a product approved for poultry. That pretty much limits you to sevin or permethrin dust. I do agree that Adams and ivermectin are great products, and I use them on my birds, but I do not sell eggs; my birds are pets and for exhibition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by