1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Pumpkin Pie Ever - Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by SundownWaterfowl, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

http://www.farmersmarketfoods.com/recipes/recipe_detail.php?recipe_id=29&product_id=1

I
    made this a couple weeks ago and was looking for the recipe again to make for Thanksgiving. This was the best pumpkin pie i've had. The pumpkin filling is very dense, which I love. I hate the kind of pumpkin pie where the filling isn't dense. I'll be making 2 for Thanksgiving next week. Thought i'd post the link to the recipe incase anybody else is looking for a good pumpkin pie recipe. [​IMG]

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    That's the one I use, it works every time. It is great with home prepared pumpkin; use 2 cups. I think I can get 3 pies out of the Cinderella pumpkin I got last week at the flea market for $1.00.

3. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    um... how do you prepare your own pumpkin? I've always just used the stuff in the can.

4. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Start with a pie pumpkin. Some grocery stores carry a small one labeled as such. Or get on line or a good seed catalogue and see what kinds are recommended for pies. Cinderella pumpkins are great. These have thicker walls and the texture and taste are good for pies.

I cut it into manageable pieces, ie 1/2 for small pumpkins, 1/4 for large. Scoop out the seeds (a grapefruit spoon works wonderfully for this). You can roast the seeds if you like. Put the pumpkins cut side down in a large pan and bake in the oven until flesh is tender. It takes an hour or so. I bake at 350. Cool it until you can handle it well then scoop out the meat of the pumpkin. You can either mash it or puree in a food processor. I froze mine before making my pies and there was a lot of juice in the bag. The pie turned out fine but it took longer to set the middle. Next time I will drain off most of the juice and put it in my soup stock bowl I keep in the freezer.

Chickens love the scraps.

5. animalsRawesome

Apr 12, 2011
    Okay, that doesn't sound that bad. Thanks!! [​IMG]

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks very similar to a recipe I use.
    I bought something called a Castillo pumpkin which I think is also a Cinderella or Fairytale pumpkin. It weighs about twenty pounds. I got a pie and 6 loaves of bread from one pumpkin! Plus soup and a couple of plain servings of pumpkin for dinner. I still have another pumpkin to bake and I think I may go back to the Mexican grocery for more. They were only 29 cents a pound and really nice pumpkins.

7. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Oh yes! condensed milk is magical!

I am bake and cook from scratch guy....I make my own sauces, my own pastas, my own breads, hell, if I could raise a buffalo, I'd make my own cheese... and I always cook my own pumpkin...but it really is one of those things where if you use a good product, there isn't much difference in the taste. Shhhhh! dont let anyone tell you I said this....lol

When making your own, the draining is very very crucial..... too much moisture will mess up a good pie.

[​IMG]

8. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I have this in the oven right now, Ive always made the recipe on the Libbys can, so am excited to try this! My son and I are pumpkin pie freaks. [​IMG]

9. animalsRawesome

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:Let us know how it is ... I always use the recipe on the can too [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Let me know how you like it. We always made the Libby's recipe too, but the store didn't have any Libby's just this brand so I decided to try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by