Best quail sounds

Discussion in 'Quail' started by diggerduck, Apr 30, 2011.

1. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    Here we go again.... I have a couple Texas A&M and laugh myself silly everytime they get to crowing. It sounds like a distant turkey jacked up on caffeine. In everyones opinion, do all quail crow the same? I have heard Bobs and I know they are different, but what about all the different coturnix? I want to try and get a pair of birds to spoil for the sake of listening to them crow. The A&Ms are being utilized for the eggs, and the crowing is a bonus. Just wondering if they all crow the same. Thanks

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    my bobs kina giggle when they get dandelion greens my gambles have a multitude of sounds they make I still have not figgered all their sounds out yet

3. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    The "chi-ca-go" call of the california quail is very cool sounding.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    There was a wild quail on top of a friend's neighbor's house last night crowing his face off. It was just similar enough to my goofy coturnix boy's crow that I recognized as quail call. It is hard to describe though.

I did a quick google search and apparently it was a scaled quail...
    http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/species/scaledquail.htm

5. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    my quails are werid - when i turn the light off in the shed he crows

but when it day time he dont :S

i swear he brainless

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I agree with this! Also the giggling when they receive mealworms [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I agree with this! Also the giggling when they receive mealworms [​IMG]

I STILL THINK THE LIL ALARM "BARKING" THEY DO IS JUST THE MOST HILLARIOUS THING....

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    MY BUTLERS DO THIS WEIRD LIL THING WHERE EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM STOPS MID STRIDE AND STARTS THIS FUNNY LIL HUMMM, HUMMM, HUMMM NOISE... WHENEVER ANYONE EVER WITNESSED IT AND ASKED "WHAT ARE THEY DOING?" I JUST TELL 'EM OH, THEY'RE DOWNLOADING INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE MOTHER SHIP... [​IMG]

WHAT MAKES IT WEIRD IS THAT NO MATTER WHERE THE BIRDS ARE (I HAVE THEM SCATTERED OUT OVER A SIZEABLE AREA... THEY ALL DO IT AT THE SAME TIME. IT MAY LAST 15 SECONDS OR UPWARDS OF 2 MINUTES OR SO... BUT THEY STOP, STARE INTO SPACE, AND JUST SIT THERE DOING THAT LITTLE HUMM-LIKE CHANT?? YOU CAN ACTUALLY REACH OUT AND TOUCH 1 BEFORE IT WILL SNAP OUT OF THIS "TRANCE"... DD CAUGHT IT ON VIDEO WITH HER I-PHONE A COPLE OF WEEKS AGO (FAIR WARNING... SHE IS 12 AND NOT A PROFESSION VIDEOGRAPHER!! ITS A BIT "BLAIRWITCH- LIKE" )

BUT HERE IT IS... SOUND IS VERY LOW SO YOU'LL HAVE TO CRANK UP THE VOLUME

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by