Best Quality For Showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieBantams, Oct 1, 2011.

1. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have about 4 Silkies but one of them has been feathering out more rapidly than the others so am wondering if my Silkie the one that is feathering out more is a good enough quality for show? I bought them last saturday along with 2 Easter Eggers from a feed store but I doubt that they're all SQ.

[​IMG]
    Whole view of the Silkie chick

[​IMG]
    Has more feathering fluff on it's feet and just above where it bends it's legs than the other Silkies

2. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    There is NO way to tell at this age what it will look like when it gets older. Feed store silkies will more than likely not be showable.[​IMG]

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I can at least try by giving it a chance

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    hatchery bird arent showable and that where feed store get there bird u put lot feed in bird u cant use for breeding or show and cant sell it for much u put in to it in feed i raised up some hatchery bird last year thought i give them a chance what a waist

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    No one is trying to hurt your feelings; they are just being honest and trying to save you valuable time and money.

If you are interested in showing birds then go to a poultry show and talk with folks and purchase your birds there or thru those you talk with. That's just how it works.

It cost just as much to feed an exhibition quality bird as it does a hatchery bird. Nothing in the world wrong with a hatchery bird.... except at a Show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by