Best quiet and tame Rooster?

Chocobroc

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern, NC
Hello all. I am thinking about adding a Rooster to my hen house. I am particularly in love with the Black Copper Maran Rooster, but I'm trying to find information on their temperament. Is there a breed that is for the most part quieter then the norm? I live outside of city limits, no restrictions on what I'm allowed to have, but I just don't want to piss off my immediate neighbors too much... hehehe. Any suggestions?

If I had your particular collection I would definitely get a black Australorp. Had one, the only roo and one of only two chickens I've named.

Best have a chat with those neight=bors about roos crowing. If you were my neighbor I'd welcome it; I love the sound of crowing, and no, it never wakes me up.

I think the OP was asking about Marans, not random breed suggestions.
wink.png

Yes, I actually have found Black Coppers to be the most "laid back" breed of all I've had experience with. They don't crow very much, they usually just sort of hang out and watch the scenery go by, honestly. As for friendliness - I've got a cockerel in particular who will allow ANYONE to pick him up, pet him, feed him by hand, - whatever. He won't object to it one bit, and will in fact come by call.
smile.png

Towards hens they're pretty good too, and towards people in general, in concerns to aggressive behaviors, the worst cockerel I've ever known was one who was skittish. Otherwise, never met an aggressive one. Their huge size also adds on to the majestic but "pet rooster" factor.
wink.png

Also, even if you do have one who's a little noisy about crowing - Their crows are much deeper pitched, which is actually much easier on the ears. Even our smaller Araucanas and Ameraucanas have a louder crow, because it's got a higher pitch.

Quote:
X2
My blue Marans roo is very laid back.. I would say docile, a deep crow. (He does crow alot because he is #2 and stays by the coop while the Ameracauna Roo takes the hens out for "road trips") His crow is deep and he is as sweet as pie and compliant. All the Marans boys I have known have been this way. Just easy going.

ON

Quote:
My Delawares are the sweetest natured birds ever. As far as noise, I don't think my Delawares are very loud, though my Marans are not loud either. I like both breeds, but if you are looking for a pet, my suggestion would absolutely be the Delaware. I have many breeds and they are the friendliest, by far.

Quote:
Agree about their disposition, very sweet and our Delaware roo is quite the gentleman and very good at looking out for this flock. His one drawback tho.... crowing his fool head off between 3:30AM and 6AM!!

talk to youre neigbors mine which only 1 in earshot rents property from us and i told him i was getting chickens and alot of roosters i didnt rly care about his response was getting them no matter what but he said he enjoys the sound of roosters (good thing i have i think 16)

Back
Top Bottom