Best Raccoon-proof freeze-proof latches?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AmericanKraut, Jan 16, 2015.

1. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hi All!

I'm new to BYC. Setting up a flock this spring. A few people have mentioned spring latches can get covered in slush so they freeze up and are a pain in the winter. I have arthritis in my hands. Is there another option that's raccoon-proof? Or are the spring ones really not an issue in the winter?

Thank you!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I'm in GA and don't have to deal with the type of winters you do, but think our method may be better for you?

We have a slide type latch just to keep door closed but for raccoon protection use clasp closures with carbingers thru these and they should not be difficult for you to use and I don't think they will freeze up. Here's a photo.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, I use the loop and carabineers same as sunflour......
    ....but they can freeze up too if they get wet.

Might want to install a flap of rubber or something over them to protect them from precipitation.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oh, great idea! We have carabineers all over the garage from whatever camping gear and whatnot. Excellent solution! You guys are great! Thanks for helping out a greenhorn like me. I think it could still freeze tough, but without the spring and tiny size of the spring latch, hopefully it'll be a lot easier for me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by