Best Raccoon Solutions? Lost My Best Broody Last Night

billygoat162

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2016
American Southwest
I have an automatic coop door that failed me during a massive storm last night, and lost my sweetest hen to a raccoon. She was guarding a clutch of eggs at ground level near the door, and I'm pretty sure she growled and tried to scare off the raccoon when it came in. She was the best momma hen I've had, was the leader of the flock, and never let any harm come to her girls. As upset as I am about it, I know she won't be there next time to defend the flock, and I learned the hard way I can't rely on the automatic door 100% of the time.

Does anyone have any sure-fire methods to get rid of raccoons? I live in a city and have a dog, so my options are limited. Also, the neighbor's cats hunt mice in my yard at night. With how common rabies is around here, I'll probably be better off dispatching any that I catch, which is what animal control does (.22 cal pellet gun maybe?). I read somewhere about a style of trap called a "dog proof racoon trap"--are these worth it? Are some brands better than others? Does trapping really make a difference, or do they just repopulate?

I need to be able to go out of town on occasion, and I won't always be here to chase off a raccoon before it devours the entire flock.

Dog proof traps work well. Box traps are fine. Any unwanted catch (the neighbor's cats) can be educated that box traps are unpleasant and then released. Habitats become repopulated, and this is why some have a trap set continually.

Skip the cages and go with the dog proof traps. If its legal where you are get the push/pull trigger style traps. They will move back in lower manageable numbers over time. The only sure fire method is to remove the raccoon.

Trapping is about all you could do. Or get a Great Pyrenees! Every now and then we do a round of coon trapping on the ranch when they start getting into the deer and cow feeders. It takes awhile to get new ones around. Also keep in mind they are very clever and intelligent. We have had some escape traps before and they don't make the same mistake twice. However they will also remember if something particularly threatening was in the way and won't risk their lives again for a meal. Unless you have a very desperate coon

Trap em' and shot em' I dont relocate raccoons since they stay very close to their family members in the same area and almost never wonder off. If you relocate a raccoon into a different area the raccoon wont know where to find food and wont have the protection of it's family. It'll end up dying either way so i say do now while you can.

Both the dog proof and live box traps work to catch coons. You now have one (or a pack of them) that found and easy meal at your place, so will be back. Best remedy for him (or them) is to trap and snuff em.

Fur guys that trap coons use the dog proof types, so yes they work......and you can get 2 or 3 of them for the price of a single live trap. Our local farm and home has started to carry them, but they are in a different part of the store than the live traps. If they have them, get one of the setting tools also. Will make life easier for you.

Going forward, as you have found out, technology in the form of an automatic door that opens and closes on its own is great when it works, but is not 100%. There is the power issue you experienced, plus it closes when it closes, and can thus lock somebody out if they are tardy going to roost...... and will open right on schedule, even if 20 coons are standing there when it does. That seems to be a risk you have to accept with something like that. But if this is the first loss you have had, even with predators lurking about, it sounds like the coop is tight as is. That is the #1 goal. The other was an accident beyond your control. It happens.

But even manual operation is not 100% fool proof either. I got distracted the other day and for the first time ever failed to close the pop door. Got the big door, but forgot about the little one. Didn't discover my error until the next morning when I looked out to see chickens running around. I got lucky........death passed them bye that night. So in short......it happens.

I have an automatic coop door that failed me during a massive storm last night, and lost my sweetest hen to a raccoon. She was guarding a clutch of eggs at ground level near the door, and I'm pretty sure she growled and tried to scare off the raccoon when it came in. She was the best momma hen I've had, was the leader of the flock, and never let any harm come to her girls. As upset as I am about it, I know she won't be there next time to defend the flock, and I learned the hard way I can't rely on the automatic door 100% of the time.

Does anyone have any sure-fire methods to get rid of raccoons? I live in a city and have a dog, so my options are limited. Also, the neighbor's cats hunt mice in my yard at night. With how common rabies is around here, I'll probably be better off dispatching any that I catch, which is what animal control does (.22 cal pellet gun maybe?). I read somewhere about a style of trap called a "dog proof racoon trap"--are these worth it? Are some brands better than others? Does trapping really make a difference, or do they just repopulate?

I need to be able to go out of town on occasion, and I won't always be here to chase off a raccoon before it devours the entire flock.
Put a sensitive spot light, or lock the cage at dusk....I have a small flash light at the end of my pellet gun

My three are 5 years old now....Healthy roamers...stopped laying for some reason. I think we had an intruder at the coupe.....They won't go in at night...They sleep on my picnic table now.....Go thing I have a garden hose for their aftermath...LOL..

**edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom