Best reasonably priced incubator- don't wanna go thru this again!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vetgirl00us, May 6, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    After this horrible hatch that I just had, I would like opinions on a reasonably priced incu that's somewhat idiot proof so I can put it on my wish list. After varying temps and humidity problems and most of my pipped chicks dying or just not hatching after reaching full term, I don't want to go thru that again. I did get 3 adorable d'uccle babies that appear the be healthy so far. I hope they don't drop dead too!

Anyway, any opinions would be great. I have a hovabator still air that I am using now- that's what I've had problems with.

2. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I have the Hova Bator Genesis 1588. I love mine! [​IMG] It is a circulated air, it is preset to 100 so you don't have to mess with the temp, it has an electronic thermostat (no wafer) and a picture window. I just completed a hatch and I got a 94% hatch rate. [​IMG] I was using a still air hova bator before I got the Genesis. Here is the link to it on GQF's website, where I purchased it. Good luck on whatever you decide! [​IMG]

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

3. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    reasonably priced and reliable is contradictory. doesn't Hova have a fan kit? that might be your best bet price wise. Stay away from the little 3 egg dome types as I have heard only bad reports. If your temps and humidity are jumping around you may have the unit in a bad room. pick a room that does not change temp a lot, away from drafty windows or cook stoves, etc.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I had similar problems with my Hovabator1602. I finally broke down and bought a Genesis Hovabator 1588. It has been worth every penny. I have had zero temp fluctuations. It has held humidity just fine and I have had excellent hatches in it. I totally recommending spending the money and going that route. Of course, if you have just gobs of money to spend, those cabinet incubators are really cool. [​IMG]

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Is $135 for a Genesis with shipping included (egg turner not included but I think I have one) a decent price for that model?

6. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    I paid about that for 2 Day air shipping on Ebay for the Genesis 1588 WITH a turner though so that's high and it's a great bator without doubt! So reliable, no temps to fool with. HIGHLY recommend! I know DiscountPetCare on Ebay ships very quickly and I've never had any issues with them. Happy hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by