Best recession/depression chicken breed(s)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Trollkiller, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    With all the bad economy news being jammed in our faces, it made me wonder. If, God forbid, we go into a deep recession or depression, what breed or breed would be the best for extremely low maintenance for the return?

I guess what I am asking is what breed can you put in the yard and say "fend for yourself"?

If I have mutilated the question beyond recoginition I will be happy to attempt a clarification.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

For pure efficiency, go with a production strain of leghorn. Eat the least per return in eggs. Eating meat costs more than eggs all around. However, keeping any pet on the small scale properly will almost always cost you more if you are only looking at the $$.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Who can forage for their own food HMM I ask myself that sometimes to. It would not be a large breed or a leghorn but a breed that had a medium body and a medium lay rate. I would think an old american breed that could be fed on a bit of grain and house scraps you should not get to many though because their is only a limited amount of food for them in certain areas. I would think Java's or barred rocks or even delewares might fit the bill.

Henry

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Hamburgs for me, hands down. Totally love to forage, cold and heat tolerant, small bodied, content, quiet, lay medium size eggs nearly every day and very independent and sweet. Excellent.

Though I do think that supporting our government's efforts to actually get a puclic works program going may be just as important as growing your own eggs and greens. . .

5. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Quote:What I am thinking is this, chickens live worldwide and a lot of the world's population rely on them for eggs and meat. From what I see, and my view is very limited, a good portion of the world's population that keeps chickens are very poor so their birds do not get commercial feed.

Are their birds basically mutts and only the strong survive or are they a particular breed(s) that do well on basically what they can forage?

6. Rooster-Spur

Rooster-Spur Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    From What I hear (not experience) Jungle fowl or games are the best as far as forageing for food but they aren't the best layers or even that good of layers. Just from what I have heard and read not from experience.

7. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Quote:What breeds are you calling "old American breeds"?

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:What breeds are you calling "old American breeds"?

Heritage breeds that were developed here in the united states by crossing several different breeds.
    Here is a short list:
    RIR
    RIW
    Wyndottes
    Barred Rock
    Iowa Blue
    Buckeye
    Java
    Deleware
    These breeds are hardy and good foragers and duel purpose birds !

Henry

9. I love my RIRs they lay good and free range and are healthy & happy, esp my roo, he loves everyone.He really loves my pitt and dane, He loves to run them in the house, marrie

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here ya go...

But I don't know if you can buy 1000s at a time.

Here it is...

Hy-Line Silver Brown

Prolific Producer, Medium sized eggs, Rich Brown Eggs, Heavier mature body weight

Hy-Line Silver Brown is the world's most prolific egg layer. She produces over 330 rich brown eggs to 74 weeks, peaks in the high-90's and begins lay early with medium egg size. These traits combined with a heavier mature layer weight, excellent livability and a robust adaptable temperament; give the Hy-Line Silver Brown the perfect balance, in both alternative production systems and intensive production systems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by