BEST recipes for Cornish X Rocks!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by [email protected]@2four, Jul 26, 2010.

1. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Hey guys! We just processed our cornish x rocks and I would LOVE some of your best recipes!!! I'm a busy mom of 4 young children, so I'm looking for something that's not too complicated! What's the best way to cook them(I don't have a rotisserie)? What do you like to cook them with, etc? Thank SO much for any help!!! I GREATLY appreciate it and am hoping for some GREAT recipes!!! [​IMG]

2. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Going by what breeds you have in your barnyard... ask your [email protected]@ for her recipes for LONG and LOW temperature cooking. [​IMG]: Another option would be to find the original " Joy of Cooking" cook book. [​IMG]

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Cornish cross were bred to be eaten. They are tender no matter what you do! You don't need any special cooking methods for them as they are young & succulent. Just search the net for chicken recipes & they will taste awesome no matter what you do with them.

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Cornish Xs??

5. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I like to roast mine whole or quarter and bake them.

6. Tugger1

Tugger1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Woodlands
    We just did ours as well.

One is a going on the barbie tonight and it is super easy all you need is a beer can

[​IMG]

1 (4-pound) whole chicken
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    3 tablespoons of your favorite dry spice rub
    1 can beer
    Directions
    Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.

Open beer can and take several gulps (make them big gulps so that the can is half full). Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod.

Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.

7. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    tasty tasty!!!!!!!!!!!!! that looks so good... going to thaw out a bird right now.

8. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:YUMMY!!! Thank you!!! SOunds great! I don't have any beer as we don't drink it, so I'll have to go get some!!!

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    wow sonew123 was on here today too . . .!!! lol great to see both of your names.

here's the low down; let the birds rest out side of the freezer (either before or after freezing) for at least 24 hours.
    some people highly reccomend brineing - not my favorite, but when I do I use a gallon of water and a 1/4 cup of Cavenders seasoning. OR 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar and a really healthy does of five spice powder.

My kids favorite way to have chicken is spatchcocked; cut the backbone out, open chicken like a book & flatten, put in backing dish with vegis all around, drizzle olive oil and seasoning over all and bake at 500 degrees for 30 min.

xoxox
    [​IMG] katy

10. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:KATY!!!! [​IMG] SO good to hear from you too!!! Man, I wish we lived close to each other...I'd have you over here teaching me all kinds of new things!!! That's it!!! I'm getting a plane ticket and coming to your house just to eat!!! [​IMG] JK! [​IMG] Thanks mama!!! Hope all is well!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by