1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best roll recipe EVER

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Happy Chooks, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    OMG I made these last night and they are the best rolls EVER! If you like a soft, heavenly roll, this recipe is for you. They were really easy to make too. These will be forever made now at all holidays in our house.

Butterhorn Rolls

1 TBS active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water
    2 cups warm milk
    3/4 cup butter, melted
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    6 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the milk, butter, sugar, egg, salt, yeast mixture, and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough. (dough will be sticky)

2. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-in circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide ends and place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet - pointy side down. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled - about 1 hour.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. (mine took 10-15 in a convection oven) Cool slightly.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Sounds good Kelly!

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That looks like the one I use! Only I make rolls of them by putting them in cupcake pans. And you dont' have to put in the fridge overnight if you dont' want to, you can let them rise an hour or so on the countertop. YUMMY!!!

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    That looks like my recipe also. We form ours alot of ways.
    Wedges rolled like croissants
    Cloverleaf - 4 little balls in greased cupcake pans
    Angel buns - roll recipe out into a rectangle and cut into 6or 8 strips, stack the strips all together in 1 stack and cut into 12 pieces. Place each little stack in cupcake tin so that they fan open - walla - angel rolls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by